Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Redundancy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whilst an appeal is already in progress, I've been selected. I have a year (as compulsory) to either transfer trades or service (to either RAF or Navy), or find a job in the civilian world.

Redundancy sucks.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Sorry to hear that G, hopefully you get something worked out soon.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that G :( do they have any career counselling available?
  • Options
    That's not good :( Hope you get something sorted
  • Options
    That's bollocks :( I'm sorry
  • Options
    So annoyed for you G. *hug*

I don't understand why they're making skilled, trained people redundant whilst recruiting more. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Hope you work something out :)
  • Options
    There's plenty of help and support available, so if anyone says that there isn't and is supposedly in the same situation as me, then they're either not looking hard enough or lying. Hopefully something good will come of it.
  • Options
    Join the navy

PLEASE and send me pics :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Join the navy

PLEASE and send me pics :)

Perv ;)
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Perv ;)

How DARE you know me so well !!

:)
  • Options
    Really sorry to hear about that G.
  • Options
    Oh, just thought. If you join the navy i can make jokes about sea men :)
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about this G. I guess the good thing is that you have a decent amount of time to work out what's next and what your options are.. keep us posted on how things are going. Have you got any initial thoughts on what you might like to do?

Hugs *hug*
  • Options
    Just finalising my appeal this week before I send it off. Otherwise no idea at this time :P
  • Options
    GCHQ? you've got the skills
  • Options
    The results of my appeal came through today, I was unsuccessful, so back to the getting a job task at hand.
  • Options
    Bugger.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Bugger.

Nothing new with you then ;)
  • Options
    Ready when you are big boy :thumb: :)
  • Options
    Being made redundant

I might be made redundant tomorrow because of my health tomorrow.

I'm 1 in 6 who are being made redundant. I don't know what I'm going to do if I am.

I already have problems with my damn chronic illness.

I suffer from leg ulcers on my ankles. I've had one since May and its been a long process of healing and its not been doing much. I had vein surgery in October that somewhat helped. The ulcer shrunk, but its still not healed.

Two weeks ago, I developed a new one and this one has caused me to sit down all the time (because of the pain) and limit my jobs, and this is why I'm being made redundant because I'm not 'flexible' enough at work. I cannot do any standing up jobs, only sitting down jobs.

They are right bastards at work if they do decide to let me go tomorrow.

I might break down.
  • Options
    They can't make you redundant because of your health. That's against the equalities act 2010. They can make your job redundant, as an unrelated decision to who does that job.

If you're confused, have a look at ACAS
  • Options
    Have they made reasonable adjustments?

They can only make you redundant on the basis of health if there are no adjustments that can be made.
  • Options
    If you are now incapable of doing your job, then you could be dismissed, but that would not be being made redundant. You should probably contact your union or similar.

If it's dismissal due to being unable, then as mentioned, the employer needs to ensure that they have taken steps to assist you if possible.
    https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/reasons-you-can-be-dismissed

Illness

You can be dismissed if you have a persistent or long-term illness that makes it impossible for you to do your job.

Before taking any action, your employer should:
    look for ways to support you - eg considering whether the job itself is making you sick and needs changing
    give you reasonable time to recover from your illness

If you have a disability (which may include long-term illness), your employer has a legal duty to support disability in the workplace.

Dismissal because of a disability may be unlawful discrimination

• Options
    I forgot I'd wrote something in this thread...Just had so much crap on my mind for the last few weeks.... I should have made my own instead of 'stealing' the OP thread :)

It isn't impossible to do my job. I've been sitting down on a chair for only 3 weeks which is when I got this new painful ulcer.

They said they've looked at other areas within the factory and there wasn't any job which I could do.

They said that I could go back once my foot has healed (Like I want to go back there!)

They've made a few people redundant because they've lost a contract until more work comes in.

My dad spoke with CAB, but they said they couldn't do anything because I wasn't present. But they gave him a number for Bradford Law Centre who basically said that I don't have a strong case against it with me having a chronic illness..

We don't have a Union at work.

Someone said that I should try ESA a go and see if I get an allowance
  • Options
    FishyFrags wrote: »
    I should have made my own instead of 'stealing' the OP thread :)

Not a problem at all, though admittedly being in a position of Redundancy isnt quite a "more the merrier" situation.

On a little bit of a cheeky whim I sent a message to someone asking about potential work experience. I was advised to send in a letter with a CV, I now have a work placement lined up for February, 2 weeks long. One of the first bits of good news I have had for a while.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Not a problem at all, though admittedly being in a position of Redundancy isnt quite a "more the merrier" situation.

On a little bit of a cheeky whim I sent a message to someone asking about potential work experience. I was advised to send in a letter with a CV, I now have a work placement lined up for February, 2 weeks long. One of the first bits of good news I have had for a while.

Cool. Hope it goes well for you!!

I'm looking for van driving jobs. I need to find somewhere who takes on people with no experience though.
  • Options
  • Options
    ^^ That's great. When you posted it on twitter I didn't clock that you'd made it yourself :)
  • Options
    At the moment I have been fighting an uphill battle with pen pushers, but I have really enjoyed that feeling of getting my stuff together in terms of my upcoming work experience.

I'm going to London on Monday for two weeks to take part in some work experience. It is quite an exciting opportunity working for a magazine. I'm stressing myself over it and the issue of navigating London in the middle of next weeks tube strike as well.

Overall the big picture hasn't really moved forward for me too much, I'm just moving forward in terms of little victories. I have decided that I'm quite enjoying my little achievements here and there, it certainly makes the whole "being made redundant" issue a little easier to handle.
  • Options
    JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey G-Raffe,

Enjoying the little victories sounds like a great strategy.
    How's your first week at the magazine going? Have you been able to deal with the tube strikes?
  • Options
    I'm actually there next week and the week after as well. Things were moved around a little bit. Actually quite excited about heading to London on Sunday night, but also there are the tube strikes to deal with. May just have to get up earlier and get my walk on!