Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the coil

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I not been on my Period for 3 mouths and went to the doctors about it and they done a pregncy test and it was good news I wasn't (I have got a boyfreind). They said to have the coil. Iam scared. Anyone eles got or had the coil and what is it like. Some people said that they don't work and some people say it does work. I don't know weather to have it.

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I think the thing to bear in mind is that no contraception is 100% guaranteed. You also need to bear in mind that one single option is not best for every single person.

What is it that is scaring you about the coil? Have you looked into other methods of contraception, e.g. the pill or the implant for example? Also, if you go to a family planning centre (aka a sexual health clinic in some places I believe) they can spend a bit longer going through all the options and trying to find out the best possible for you - might that be something that would help you?
  • Options
    I didn't think they recommended the coil to women that hadn't given birth? That's what my doctor said anyway. My mum has had it since she had my brother 21 years ago and she said getting it changed is incredibly painful and it made her periods really random and unpredictable. However once it's in it's in there for quite a few years (not sure how many). I think you also have to get it put in when you're on your period because your cervix is softer so it's easier to insert. Again I could be wrong, I'm only going on one experience as no one else I know has got it. Personally I'd look into the pill or the implant first.

eta: looking at your other thread is it true you're thinking of splitting up with your boyfriend? If so is there much point in getting such a long term method of contraception?
  • Options
    They recommend it to anyone who wants long term contraception. I have one and asides the spotting for a couple of months it's fine!

Just make sure guys don't be too rough with their fingers - I've had mine dislodged before because of too rough foreplay
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    They recommend it to anyone who wants long term contraception. I have one and asides the spotting for a couple of months it's fine!

No they don't.

They refused to give me one because I'd never given birth, despite specifically asking for it.

Instead I have an implant which I have found pretty good. For various reasons my periods have become pretty temperamental of late but for the most part it's reduced the bleeding and the pain.
  • Options
    I've been given a coil having not been pregnant. I changed from the hormonal to copper as hormones cause pain in my joints/muscles. the copper insertion was more painful, but both settled down reasonably well.
  • Options
    Just wanted to post a link to TheSite's very informative article about the coil.

In the article it explains that the coil doesn't affect fertility - but it can 'help' chlamydia to climb - and chlamydia really does affect fertility. It's explained much better and in more detail in the article...

Heather, the article explains about the two different types of the coil, what it's like to have it fitted etc so should help you think through whether or not it's right for you.

Also, you may like to look at some of the other articles in this section about contraception. Like others have suggested, maybe some other methods would suit you better?

:)
  • Options
    Thanks for the replys everyone thats posted on my thad.