Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The most powerful man in the world?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Click here

Is he the most powerful man in the world, or is it a Anglo-American centric view of the world?

And, if you don't think he is, who would you nominate?

(sidenote; do knighthoods mean anything any more?)

Comments

• Options
    Depends on your definition of powerful really doesnt it.

I cant think of anyone outside of the US who can be classed as most powerful in the world.
  • Options
    Re: The most powerful man in the world?
    Originally posted by DJP
    Is he the most powerful man in the world...

And, if you don't think he is, who would you nominate?

Fuck off is he.

I don't believe that there is one man/woman who could claim that title, but several who have huge influence on the world. Murdoch, Gates (and the Microsoft empire) and political figures like Bush for example.
    (sidenote; do knighthoods mean anything any more?)

Have they ever? I mean really. They are too often doled out to the "great and the good" rather than people who have actually done anything, made something of themselves.

How many Generals become Sir, how many politicians and civil servants?

There are few who truly deserve the honour - people like Sir Bob Geldof, people who actually made a difference to the world. It is supposed to be one of our highest honurs and yet we seem to hand them out like sweets.
  • Options
    You don't think General (Sir) Norman Schwarzkopf made a difference to todays' world?

Interesting.....

Whatever happened to him, anyway?
  • Options
    Originally posted by DJP
    You don't think General (Sir) Norman Schwarzkopf made a difference to todays' world?

Yes, but I meant UK generals. Gerneral Sir Peter de la Billiere was the UK C-in-C during the Gulf War but was already knighted when he went out there. For what?

Like I said, look around, how many normal people get this honour? Spend thirty years doing something worthwhile and you might get an OBE if you are lucky...

Sir Sean Connery - who lives abroad and hasn't paid UK tax for years for example. What he has actually done for the UK?

• Options
    What really piss's me off is when pop celedrities get a knighthood.

Paul McCarthy, cliff richard, mick jagger ... ok, they may have written some catchy tunes, attended some charity concerts and made a lot of money for the country, but i still don't think they deserve a title.

At least give them to people that have done some selfless work,not spent their lives grabbing for fame and money
  • Options
    Re: Re: The most powerful man in the world?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

How many Generals become Sir, how many politicians and civil servants?

And physicians too one suspects....:p ;)
  • Options
    I don't understand why he's being voted most powerful anyway. Despite the US heading towards recession the British and European economies are still very strong, and getting stronger so I've been led to believe.
    I think a true sign of power, is not the influence you have over people, but the ability to accept that there is an influence, but have the ability to disregard it.
    There was a time when a recession in Japan would mean a collapse of the global economy, but it we're still ok.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: The most powerful man in the world?
    Originally posted by Squinty
    And physicians too one suspects....:p ;)

Someone pays attention... :p