Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sexual Assault Trial.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm caught up in a horrible case and trial at the moment over something that recently happened to me. I can't really post details because it's still going on but I feel awful :(

A policeman saw the whole thing happening so I think I've got a pretty good case. But if the guy gets let off then it'll be bad because it'll mean that everyone thinks I'm lying, but if he gets convicted then I'm going to be ruining his life. I almost wish I'd never agreed to make a statement because having to hash over the details again and again is stressing me out so much :(

There's no advice you can really give me I don't think, just wanted a bit of support.

Comments

• Options
    Just know that you are doing the right thing
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    He ruined his own life. If a burglar broke into your house and got arrested it would be his own fault. Same thing here.
  • Options
    What the others have said.

Handily the whole thing won't swing on one persons comments, lawyers are too good for that. Just answer the questions you're asked. You can't change the facts - which is all that's being assessed. If he gets off, then it doesn't make you a liar, it just means that can't reach the " beyond All reasonable doubt" requirement.
  • Options
    You haven't ruined his life. He did that himself.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Melian wrote: »
    You haven't ruined his life. He did that himself.

This. *hug*'s Grace
  • Options
    This entirely his fault, not yours. So don't feel bad. Kudos to you for pressing charges *hug*
  • Options
    Hey Grace

I can't tell if this is going on in France or England?

In the UK, Rape Crisis and Victim Support are really good. I guess you can't really access their helplines if you're not in the UK at the mo but you can email Victim Support.

Within France, Contre le viol have a free helpline during the day / evening.
  • Options
    It's in France, which makes things more difficult because I know a lot less about the legal system. The trial will be sometime this week and with any luck I won't actually have to be there.

At the hearing in front of the magistrate they asked me if I was wearing a 'sexy dress that could provoke weaknesses in certain men.'

Thank you for the links Piccolo. Weirdly I'm not that bothered about the incident itself, it's really all the police and legal stuff that came after that's upsetting me. They were quite pushy when I was asked if I wanted to press charges. It must be almost over now so I'm not going to drop it, because then all this shit will have been for nothing.

xx
  • Options
    I found some info on procedure but wasn't sure if it was useful, will see if I can re-find.

I'm sure the helpline would also be cluedup on that kinda stuff.

SOS Viol - la loi
  • Options
    I found some info on procedure but wasn't sure if it was useful, will see if I can re-find.

I'm sure the helpline would also be cluedup on that kinda stuff.

SOS Viol - la loi

Sorry I can't find anything more detailed; I think I'm just not very good at coming up with search terms!
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    At the hearing in front of the magistrate they asked me if I was wearing a 'sexy dress that could provoke weaknesses in certain men.' /QUOTE]

eurgh. that is beyond disgusting.

really hope the trial goes well grace. what others have said- it's *his* fault and he needs to face the consequences of *his* actions.
  • Options
    I can't believe they still try and find blame in how the woman was dressed. It makes me so angry.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I can't believe they still try and find blame in how the woman was dressed. It makes me so angry.

This. It's so wrong.

Big hugs Grace *hug* x
  • Options
    I'd have asked them what relevance that has to the trial. The way the victim is dressed has nothing to do with it. It happened, it was his fault, end of. I can't believe in 2013 they think some men can't keep their hands to themselves when they see a bit of leg. And they wonder why hardly anyone presses charges.

Rawr, rant over.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hi Grace, sorry to hear this has happened :( I hope it's nearly over for you now. *hug*
  • Options
    He got let off due to lack of evidence. I don't know what more evidence they could have wanted. I feel shit about the whole thing.
  • Options
    Shit.
  • Options
    They have separate statements from other people, INCLUDING police officers, that match mine. And in the hearing that fucking cunt lied to my face about what happened, and they still say there's not enough evidence. Don't know why I ever thought the fucking police could help me. They just think I'm some slag that was asking for it cos I was wearing a pretty dress.
  • Options
    Clearly the police thought they could help. If they didn't then you wouldn't have had their statements to support you, and it would never have gone to court. That's more than evidence enough that people believed you.

As is ever the case for crimes that don't leave quality forensic evidence (by which I mean the good old door breaking robberies with finger prints and blood samples everywhere) it gets into silly territory. The justice systems in the Western world all pretty much hang on 'beyond reasonable doubt' as a test. If the evidence can't meet that then things come unstuck. Obviously the police thought you had a good chance at getting it otherwise would never have persued the court case. It must be really hard, but try and take that as a bit of reassurance that you are definitely believed.

Equally - while it's not what you would have wanted, the guy will have been made to suffer in going through the trial process so won't have got off completely.
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Sorry to hear he got let off.
    I was suppose to give evidence as a witness a few years ago, for a case of GBH. In the end I didn't have to, but I remember feeling sick to my stomach thinking about going up in court. The git only got community service because he admitted it. The legal system sucks.
    And it doesn't matter what you're wearing, you have the right to wear what you want without worrying about scumbags taking advantage. I mean what if you were at a beach in a bikini when it happened, stupid judge.
    I'm a bit of a tomboy, always in trousers, hate low cut tops and I still had my bum pinched by a stranger. -It can happen whatever you wear and is always the other person's fault, not yours.
    xx *hug*
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    They have separate statements from other people, INCLUDING police officers, that match mine. And in the hearing that fucking cunt lied to my face about what happened, and they still say there's not enough evidence. Don't know why I ever thought the fucking police could help me. They just think I'm some slag that was asking for it cos I was wearing a pretty dress.

Well I don't. I really admire your bravery going through this whole process, it's extremely difficult even when there's a successful conviction. But it's no wonder the conviction rate is so low when what you wear apparently makes a difference.

Try to use some of the support lines people have posted for you, you may find you need them as time goes on.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Clearly the police thought they could help. If they didn't then you wouldn't have had their statements to support you, and it would never have gone to court. That's more than evidence enough that people believed you.

As is ever the case for crimes that don't leave quality forensic evidence (by which I mean the good old door breaking robberies with finger prints and blood samples everywhere) it gets into silly territory. The justice systems in the Western world all pretty much hang on 'beyond reasonable doubt' as a test. If the evidence can't meet that then things come unstuck. Obviously the police thought you had a good chance at getting it otherwise would never have persued the court case. It must be really hard, but try and take that as a bit of reassurance that you are definitely believed.

Equally - while it's not what you would have wanted, the guy will have been made to suffer in going through the trial process so won't have got off completely.
    I agree with this completely.
  • Options
    I'm having such a shit time at the moment. In the last two weeks, I've had to wait all night in hospital for my friend who was so wasted that I got freaked out and called an ambulance, then the assault/hearing/trial and so on, lost my phone which was my only way of contacting friends cos I don't have internet in my flat any more, had to borrow money from my friend just so I could be able to eat, and last night someone got shot right in front of me. It's my last month in Paris and all I want to do is lie in bed and cry.
  • Options
    That sounds horrendous, I don't know what to say.

Have you tried emailing Victim Support? They might be able to offer some counselling or something when you're back in the UK, you've been through a lot and it might help to talk.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    That sounds horrendous, I don't know what to say.

Have you tried emailing Victim Support? They might be able to offer some counselling or something when you're back in the UK, you've been through a lot and it might help to talk.

I'm drafting an email now, but I don't really know what to put in it.
  • Options
    Copy and paste from the start of this thread, and your other couple of posts. Job done as a starting point.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear this. Remember that because he wasn't found guilty or taking to full trial it doesn't mean that he didn't do it or that you're not believed. It certainly doesn't prove his innocence.

It unfortunately just means that - in a notoriously difficult to prove area of law - there wasn't enough evidence to build a case on.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Grace, sending you a huge *hug* I can't even imagine how stressful and upsetting this all must be, but we're here for you :) Also, I hope somewhere like victim support will be able to help you :)
  • Options
    Copy and paste from the start of this thread, and your other couple of posts. Job done as a starting point.

Sent them an email, hopefully they'll reply soon. I think just going home will do me the world of good anyway, and it's only three weeks to go now. This city's just making me so sad all the time now, with everything that's happened. I also wrote a big email to the man that was handling my case just getting everything out my system, about how I was so angry and upset about the way they treated me. It was quite a cathartic thing to do but I doubt he'll reply.

Also thanks for the hugs and stuff people :)
  • Options
    Well done you. Very proactive.