Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tramadol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently developed an abscess on my bum (lol) and I had to have it surgically removed last thursday because it was so infected. Since then I have been prescribed paracetamol and tramadol as I have nurses come in everyday to 'pack' my wound (i have a hole which is 2inches wide and 5/6cm deep) and the packaging process everyday is ridiculously painful. Since I have been taking the para and tramadol I have come out in a rash on my legs and arms. I suffer from stress eczema (when I get stressed/nervous/anxious/angry I scratch a particular of skin until it nearly bleeds or it just comes up). This rash is different as it is blotchy and I can't even touch it. I have also been sweating excessively and not just because of the hot wether. All I can think about is when my next dose of tramadol is, even when I'm not in that much pain... What can this be a sign of?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    all I can think is, that it is probably a reaction to both the tramadol (have you taken it before? it could be a rare side effect or mild allergic reaction), and the trauma/emotional reaction to the surgery. Not sure what to advise, but what I've said might be an indication to the cause of the rash and sweating.
  • Options
    Hey there artichelen :wave:

It sounds like you've been through quite an ordeal and even now you're on the mend you're suffering from this new rash. Are you able to talk to the nurses about it when they come round to dress the wound?

Unfortunately it's notoriously difficult to diagnose online and we're not medical experts here - if it's getting worse then do call NHS Direct - 0845 45 47 - you can talk to a nurse on the phone :)

Get well soon *hug*
  • Options
    Hey,
    This is the first time I've taken tramadol as other operations I've had have been when I was a little girl and made quite a fast recovery. This however, will be 7/8 weeks to heal and my mum is basically keep me on house arrest to ensure I rest and don't get infected and I reckon it may drive me insane. On Monday I had to miss my last a-level exam because of this so the worry of whether i will be aloud to do it is getting to me now. Nurses said that it is a rare side effect however I cannot simply come off tramadol otherwise withdrawal symptoms will kick in so I have to ease myself off them

Thanks for all reply, much helped *hug*
  • Options
    They can give you something else as a straight swap for tramadol, so call your GP and see if they can come out to you with some. That's what happened to me, although I had a worse reaction!
  • Options
    Hiya,

I have had the misfortune to know exactly what you're going through.

Talk to the nurses, because there may be options to change out the tramadol for something else over a time period. You'll possibly struggle if you come straight off it, but it can be staged off over time.

On the packing front, it gets a lot better. So while the packing will have to continue for a while - the agony that goes with it will fade pretty soon and it's just uncomfortable and irritating. If you're getting daily dressing changes and your skin around it is getting sore then talk to the nurses about a barrier cream to protect your skin where the adhesive is going.

I'll try and give you a more sensible reply later - but if you've got any questions, ask away.
  • Options
    The packaging I'm not worried about. The nurses have told me it will take a while and while now they say it is healing well, the longest part is at the end. My mum is just so worried about infections, even when I step into my garden she starts shouting and this is really making me angry and lose my temper.

I'm still taking the tramadol, but my mum is even counting the tablets as she thinks I'm going to start stealing them because she thinks I've started getting the withdrawal symptoms already. This has really put me on more of a downer than I was already but I didn't think the abscess was this bad :/
  • Options
    The healing process takes a long time, but you get more used to it as time passes.

It sounds like getting some extra time with t he nurses and your mum to talk about lifestyle and pain management would be useful. You can't stay captive through the whole healing process , it's not good for you long term.