Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fast heart rate/citalopram

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

I started taking citalopram again a few days ago and my heart beat is racing. I feel really shaking, like I've taken meow or cocaine (I haven't). Not quite sure what to do. I'm not seeing my psych nurse for another two weeks.

Help?!

Comments

• Options
    Best to get an emergency appt with your GP.
  • Options
    I'm going to phone them in a minute, I know they'll just say to keep taking it but it's getting ridiculous. I haven't slept, and I've got pins and needles all over my body!! It's awful.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I had this to a certain extent when I started citalopram/changed dose but never so bad. Hopefully your GP can help you :)
  • Options
    I've got an appointment at 4.40, my hearts 90bmp at the moment which is within the normal range but faster than usual for me. It's worse at night when I take it though. I think it's the lack of sleep thing as well just making it all feel worse!
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    As far as I know you're meant to take it in the morning because it's supposed to be activating?
  • Options
    I've been told to take it at night, I take all my meds at night and it says on my packet to take them at night
  • Options
    Varying the times you take meds - with a doc's advice! - can be a useful way to manage side effects
  • Options
    Hey Broken-Angel

How did the appointment go with the doctor?

I had a look at the NHS site to see what side effects are associated with citalopram - it says it's uncommon (more than 1 in 1000 people are affected) but faster heart rate is a known side effect.

Has it settled down at all since you last posted?