Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Infected burn-treatment?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

I have a 2nd degree burn on my arm that's become infected. The burn happened on Friday night, the blister burst on Monday. From Friday till Monday it had cling film on, and then on Monday I put one of those dressings that's like a giant plaster on. I took it off this morning because I was in serious pain, and realised the burn is infected. It started off white, and is now moving to greeny/black puss under the skin.

I went to the doctors, and he prescribed me some anti-biotics (without asking me any questions or telling me anything about them!) I got home, read the ingredients and realised I can't take them. I've found online that they do a liquid version that should be fine, but it might be a while before I can get it. Seeing the nurse tomorrow to have the burn properly dressed so I'll ask her then... but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to help the infection go away/not get any worse? Is it best to just leave it completely alone or could I put some cream or something on it? (there is another giant plaster dressing on it that I put earlier, it isn't in the open air at the moment)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    Is it because the pills aren't vegan? Do you think you could compromise your beliefs just for a couple of weeks? (Think in Friends, Joey going vegetarian so Phoebe can eat meat when pregnant.) Cos infected stuff can get very nasty in hours rather than days.
  • Options
    I really can't. I'd utterly detest myself and probably end up doing something stupid. I know that sounds pathetic but it's something I can't do. I know that medication is never truely vegan but these have gelatine and shellac in not just lactose or something
  • Options
    It was just in case :)

A and E? I know it's not an emergency (yet) but they'd be able to get you the liquid sooner than the nurse. And if the pus is black and stuff it sounds really fucked up (professional opinion there!)
  • Options
    I'm seeing the nurse at 2.50 today, I can't take this dressing off to look at it because it's the last one I have but it doesn't hurt so much today. *Hopefully* it hasn't got any worse. I think by the time I got seen in A&E I'd be seen by the nurse at the doctors anyway... and if I went to A&E I'd have to wait for hours and hours for the psych team and that's just a big no.

I'll let you know what the nurse says, I agree with your professional opinion though ;) it's not great!
  • Options
    Hopefully the nurse has managed to sort you out a presciption for something that you can take.

In the future though - you need to take more responsibility for your own actions if you're chosing to be vegan. You clearly know that a lot of medication isn't suitable for vegans, so you need to question it at the time with whoever is prescribing it - rather than assuming that they'll check.
  • Options
    In the future though - you need to take more responsibility for your own actions if you're chosing to be vegan. You clearly know that a lot of medication isn't suitable for vegans, so you need to question it at the time with whoever is prescribing it - rather than assuming that they'll check.

It says on my medical record not to prescribe me capsules.
  • Options
    Yup.

And you can either get yourself into a position where you have problems and your treatment gets delayed by relying on every medical professional you to see have had the time to read your entire medical record in detail, OR you can be the grown up, take responsibility and ask the question each time.

In the case of MY health, and MY personal convictions - I'd make sure it was ME checking it up front each time.
  • Options
    Yup.

And you can either get yourself into a position where you have problems and your treatment gets delayed by relying on every medical professional you to see have had the time to read your entire medical record in detail, OR you can be the grown up, take responsibility and ask the question each time.

In the case of MY health, and MY personal convictions - I'd make sure it was ME checking it up front each time.

You're actually being quite rude to me now, and I don't appreciate it. The doctor I saw hardly spoke. I walked in, he said "what's wrong?" I showed him the burn, he printed out a prescription and ushered me out. It says on my list of allergies- which I'm fairly sure he should have read before prescribing me anything, not to give me capsules. It is a doctors duty to at least ask if I'm allergic to anything if they can't be bothered to read what is in front of them on the screen.
  • Options
    You're actually being quite rude to me now, and I don't appreciate it. The doctor I saw hardly spoke. I walked in, he said "what's wrong?" I showed him the burn, he printed out a prescription and ushered me out. It says on my list of allergies- which I'm fairly sure he should have read before prescribing me anything, not to give me capsules. It is a doctors duty to at least ask if I'm allergic to anything if they can't be bothered to read what is in front of them on the screen.

It's also your own responsibility to ensure your own well-being where you can. Everyone makes mistakes, even doctors, they get tired, stupid and lazy, just like everyone else. I'm with Scary Monster, if you have particular needs, you should be checking medication too.
  • Options
    In the 30 seconds I was there? Whatever. This thread was asking for advice on how to treat a burn without anti-biotics. None of you have given me any advice on that, so cheers :thumb:
  • Options
    I think in terms of treatment, we can't advise you. If it's infected, you probably need anti-biotics and that's all anyone who's not a doctor will be able to offer as advice. There probably are alternatives, there certainly should be things you can take as a vegan, what did the nurse say? Have you managed to make a follow up with another GP appt? This NHS info on infected burns does seem pretty clear that you need a doctor and antibiotics.

Scary Monster was just commenting on how you might be able to avoid this happening again, not necessarily on how you were in the room, obviously we weren't there. If it turns out your doctor isn't in the habit of being pro-active and checking, it's something to chalk up for next time and to ask about.
  • Options
    Thanks Picc, he isn't my normal doctor he was just the one with an appointment available. I'm used to medical professionals giving me liquid or pills, I haven't been prescribed capsules by anyone for years so it's just not something I think about any more. I (rightly or wrongly) assume that they will have read about my allergies, as the vast majority do.

I got liquid anti-biotics sorted this morning, and the nurse applied a dressing with anti-biotics on it, and gave me a load more so I don't have to go back because she knows I don't like the doctors. She's also writing to the mental health team. All I wanted to know last night was how to stop it getting worse, but it's all fine now.
    Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.