Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hypermobility

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Looking for a bit of advice...

I've got hypermobility, it's especially bad in my hips, knees, wrists and shoulders. When I was a teenager I had hip surgery because my joints were wrecked and I've been told that it's likely that I'm going to need more surgery over the next few years - I know that's a while but it's still daunting. I've recently been referred for physio but I'm not feeling too hopeful about it because past experiences have been a but sucky, my physio didn't get that my joints would dislocate easily and it resulted in more pain and discomfort. I've learnt not to sit in certain ways or do things like handstands but I'm starting to find that everyday activities are getting hard. My shoulder dislocated from carrying a bag and overextending my joint, aside from the pain it's not ideal. My hips and knees are also pretty bad at the moment, I'm worried I'm going to be forced onto crutches; my wrists can't cope with them.

I just feel very meh about it all, it's impacting on how I view myself (which wasn't that high in the first place). Any ideas or tips on how to cope or make things slightly better, besides physio would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    *hugs*
    I don't have hypermobility but from primary school to high school I had physio and had to were special shoes cos my muscles are too tight in my legs, and problems with my feet.
    I can't really offer you some advice on how to cope with this cos I don't know too much about it, but I can understand your how you could be feeling, have you spoken to your doctor about your other options? Like not just physio.

Ive come across this website, maybe it could offer you some tips :)

Tis really good you made a thread cos maybe there are others who are or have gone through similar :)

Sorry it wasn't a helpful reply
  • Options
    *hugs*
    have you spoken to your doctor about your other options? Like not just physio.

Ive come across this website, maybe it could offer you some tips

Thanks for the link :)

I've only been offered physio, at varying levels of intensity but asking for other options is worth a try. Considered osteotherapy but I don't know if it would do more harm than good.
  • Options
    Its okay.
    I guess with things like this its about getting to know all the options then making a decision. Hopefully your doctor can help with that :-)
    Hopefully people offer you some advice on here too.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    I have hypermobility, though not as severe as needing operations...

I have found exercise helps (make sure you get good cushioned shoes) and exercising my core muscles has improved my posture. Yoga is also good.

ETA: Maybe a low impact exercise class, like aqua earobics could help strengthen you
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I have hypermobility, though not as severe as needing operations...

I have found exercise helps (make sure you get good cushioned shoes) and exercising my core muscles has improved my posture. Yoga is also good.

ETA: Maybe a low impact exercise class, like aqua earobics could help strengthen you

I go to the gym most days. It's funny you say that though, I haven't been in over a week and have only done exercise DVDs and during that time I've noticed my joints have got worse, so the link between the two is something to consider.
  • Options
    EVERYTHING HURTS. Don't expect advice or whatever, it is just a statement of my current pain levels.
  • Options
    Have your doctors looked at it wing something's else? Like ehrler-danlos syndrome or something along those lines?
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Have your doctors looked at it wing something's else? Like ehrler-danlos syndrome or something along those lines?

Never ever heard of it so I'm consulting Dr Google. I'm not going to Internet diagnose or scare myself but my skin is fairly stretchy
  • Options
    Being clued up to possibilities and being informed are different to net diagnosis.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Being clued up to possibilities and being informed are different to net diagnosis.

Very true :) having read through information about it on the NHS website I think it's unlikely as I didn't have an issue with walking or sitting as a child. I need to find another person and pull at their skin, I can't fully work out if my skin has a normal amount of stretch or abnormal.
  • Options
    Nor did my friend - she only got diagnosed after they did genetic testing on her parents, but it's worth talking the pain over with your GP. Have you also looked at the HMS association website at pain relief?
  • Options
    I'm hypermobile too and in my experience most physios are pretty clued up on it - mine was spotted by a physio after consultant rheumatologists scratched their heads over what was causing my hips to wreck themselves. I'd definitely recommend giving it another go!

Exercise is also very helpful to strengthen and stabilise the muscles holding your joints in place, but must be low impact or you could do yourself a mischief. DO NOT run!! Swimming or cycling is much gentler as far as general fitness goes, and then specific strengthening exercises from a (decent!) physio work best for me.

I have also been consistently recommended Pilates by medics, but personally can't get on with it. A lot of people love it, though!
  • Options
    Miss_riot, no I haven't, I will take a lot. Mainly rely on codeine because I have such a low tolerance to it that it just knocks me out, so it's a double bonus.

Kaff, I also don't get on with Pilates, but I like yoga and have found that can help. I love running, but I limit the distance I do now because I know it's not the best sport for me.

Whenever I next make a GP appointment I'm going to try and get some answers; lifting children at work has really messed my shoulders up and I'm struggling to move my arms which isn't fun.