Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Itchy Scars

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just now, at the very second my scars have started really itching and it feels like it's burning. I have NO idea why.

They're not recent either, they're back from like November'12 - and I've done nothing different to what I'd normally do in terms of moustiers etc.

Is this normal? Also, is there anything that can relieve the itchyness and burning sensation? :)

Comments

• Options
    Totally normal because the skin needs to heal and the scars change over time, does weird stuff to your skin.

I just use a non-scented moisturiser (if you choose one with vits D and E in they're also good for scar tissue) and that takes some of it away. Don't scratch, if you can avoid it.
  • Options
    Okay, thank you Picc! :)
    I put a cold flannel on it last night to stop it burning, so hopefully that wasn't the wrong thing to do haha!
  • Options
    Nah that'll be fine.

If you're worried, get a doctor to have a look.
  • Options
    Moisturise as Pic says. Don't scratch but rub, with palm of your hand. Gives you the feeling you're doing something without breaking the skin. Run an ice cube up and down the scar to relieve the burning and numb the itchiness for a bit. CETIRIZINE, which is Zirtec, an antihistamine that helps relieve itching. You can buy generic stuff, Sainsburys' and Tesco do their own which is about £1 for 14 tablets and they're 1 a day so quite cheap.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Nah that'll be fine.

If you're worried, get a doctor to have a look.

Shall do, if it gets worst I'll book an apt.

Thank you RubberSkin :)