Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Spanish vs. French

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well, to make a story short.

I have chosen Spanish as a language class, but now I am doubting wether I should have taken French instead, and try to change?

Would you say that French is more useful than Spanish? Spanish is spoken by more people, but wouldn't French be better for common knowledge and litterature?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Well, I have to say I enjoyed spanish FAR more than french....
  • Options
    I did both, and I also much preferred Spanish. It opens doors a little further afield as well, as a number of countries speak Spanish primarily.
  • Options
    I did both at uni & loved French... never quite got as good at Spanish though. Can you not do both??
  • Options
    As I can see Spanish is most popular :)

I can't choose both as I have picked Math line, wich means apart from English I only get one foreign language, either a continuation level (of German which I had in basic school), or a beginner language. And i chose number two, as I was getting quite bored with German.
  • Options
    i studied french from yr 7-11 and in yr 9, i got the chance to do spanish second language. i found spanish is easier to understand and will help you to actually undersatnd the french language.
    i enjoyed spanish more than french (but then again i hated french ne way!!) but i started to like french when i was learning spanish. if i was u, id stick to the language you chosen especially since feench and spanish are very similar languages (very similar!)

goood luck with that 1!
    love, missx
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Had my first Spanish lesson today, and I already love it. We have a really great teacher (she doen't seem to have a Danish accent when she speaks, and is pretty nice), plus the class isn't that big, as we are only 15.

I am definitely going to stick to it.

Thanks again,
    Jacq
  • Options
    Jacqui,

In my experience, Spanish is the better language to take. (Of course, then again, look where I live :rolleyes: ) I took French, and while it helps in restaurants and with figuring out the meaning of certain words, I can honestly say it hasn't been worth the time and effort.