Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Friend in Need

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My best friend texted me this morning saying she was going to commit suicide tonight. I've checked her blog & it's full of self harm & depression posts. This has been going on since last Summer. She said she was going to commit last October and she's been self-harming for months. I've tried everything. I sent her the Suicide Hotline Number and at this point, I don't know what to do anymore. I think she's beyond the point of restoring hope. Please help.

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey kiraolivia,

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend and the situation you find yourself in.

I'm just wondering how old you are?

At this stage it sounds like this is too much for you to deal with by yourself - your wellbeing is as important as your friends. Have you thought about telling someone you trust?
  • Options
    You may also find it helps to read this story - helping a suicidal friend:

http://www.thesite.org/stepfinder/entry.php/40-Helping-a-Suicidal-Friend
  • Options
    We're both 14 and I've told my parents, but they're not really much help in it and I told my health teacher back in October. 3 other friends of mine are involved in the situation and only 1 of them has told her mom. We haven't talked to a counselor or anything since then. Thanks for the reply! X
  • Options
    October is a fair while ago so it might be worth going to your teacher again to repeat just how serious this feels. It's really positive that you have been reaching out, so trying again would be worth a go.

As you're 14, ChildLine would be an option - do give them a go either online or on the phone.

You can also continue to post here - there are always people online :)
  • Options
    It sounds like this is a horrible situation to be in for you and your friend, but like Helen has said your wellbeing is just as important, sometimes we get caught up in helping others that we forget to make sure ourselves are okay.
    Keep posting on here :) we are here for you.
  • Options
    When your friend is in a dark place it could also be stressful for you. As Helen says, look after your own well-being too.

Papyrus offer a helpline to where you can talk to someone if you're worried about a friend or family memeber and offer great advice.

I'd also look to talking to the school counsellor, and your teacher again, as getting your friend the help she needs and deserves can be vital. Have you told her parents at all? This could be one step to making sure she is safe, but there's the chance they may not understand.

Do continue to post on the boards though :)
  • Options
    When we talked to our health teacher back in October she reminded us that whatever she did and if she went through with her suicide that it wasn't our fault, so we've all learned to accept that. I also didn't mention that my friend in need goes to a different school than the 3 of us, so I'm not sure if talking to our counselor would be effective. I will definitely give ChildLine a go though, thank you for the support! Xx
  • Options
    Her mom knows about her depression and self harm, but I don't know to what extent. I thought about contacting her parents but none of us know their numbers. I also don't know if she's at her mom or dad's house at the moment and she's stopped replying to my texts.
  • Options
    Yes, your health teacher is right. No matter what she does, it isn't your fault, and you done what you could to help her at the time. I think talking to a counsellor would help you, you may not think it would be effective, but with what seems like a brick lode of worry on your shoulders, it could be good to talk to him/her about it as well. They may also be able to pitch in as part of confidentiality, if if the person is at risk, if the person is going to harm another, or if you tell them someone else may be at risk they have to break confidentiality, but will always let you know.

I hope your friend fights the 'demons' and find a way out. Your friend is strong, and I wish her all the best in getting help.
  • Options
    Aye okay, well you do know if you think she's in immediate danger you can always contact 999, and they will go round and asses her risk, and act on it there... but look after yourself too.