Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How to keep my weight stable?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys :wave:

Okay so I'm currently putting on weight quite rapidly. I'm not overweight yet, but I'm borderline and if I keep gaining weight like I am I will be overweight soon.

I really want to keep my weight stable, it goes up and down massively (normally drug and medication related). Since I've stopped getting on drugs every day, I've gained nearly 2 stone. I'm on Queitiapine as well which is known for weight gain.

How can I control my weight? I know I eat more than I should but I'm ALWAYS hungry. I could honestly eat all day. Has anyone got experience with gaining weight on medication... and how to stop it?!

Comments

• Options
    i would try and stick to healthy meals with a small snack in between. Maybe plan food for the day so you dont go over maybe 1700 cals or keep a food diary ala myfitnesspal or something
  • Options
    and avoid alcohol and refined sugar
  • Options
    If you like exercise and do it for actual fun (rather than it just being another chore) you could try and double the amount you do?
  • Options
    I am the most unfit person ever, I don't exercise at all. I was on so many drugs last year, I didn't eat and got really ill. Even walking makes me out of breath now. I'm only size 8-10 but I was a 4-6 in November so my weight's gaining fast!

I think I'm just going to have to speak to my CAMHS worker about a different medication... I'm trying so hard to control what I eat but I'm just so hungry. I've already had a bowl of cereal and a banana this morning, and it hasn't even filled me up slightly.
  • Options
    Just a little info things like bubble and amphetamines shrink your stomach and make you less hungry (or just have a completely non existant appetite). After i can off bubble i weighed around 7 stone. 2 months later I was weighing roughly 9.5 stone.

You just have to get used to being hungry again.
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »
    Just a little info things like bubble and amphetamines shrink your stomach and make you less hungry (or just have a completely non existant appetite). After i can off bubble i weighed around 7 stone. 2 months later I was weighing roughly 9.5 stone.

You just have to get used to being hungry again.

I know that you twat. But it's getting used to hunger, along with EXTRA hunger from my medication which I started after I stopped doing meow every day.
  • Options
    It's really hard keeping weight stable whilst on certain medications. I'll be watching this thread to see what comes up as it's something I too have struggled with.
  • Options
    I know that you twat. But it's getting used to hunger, along with EXTRA hunger from my medication which I started after I stopped doing meow every day.
    Only ask your family to buy foods etc that you only sort of like then you'll only be tempted to eat when you're really hungry.
  • Options
    I know the feeling. This time last year I was slowly but surely losing weight and I had lost enough for people to start commenting which was nice. And then when I went on my new meds in September it was so depressing watching the weight pile on. I've now come off them but I did pick up a few things.

I calorie count and try to stick around 1500. It's not too hard as long as the majority of what I eat isn't junk ;) I also made sure that even if I feel like I can skip a meal - I don't, as this makes me more hungry and more likely to eat crap. I also used to crave sweet things really badly - so kept tangerines in my room and in the kitchen to help. I weigh myself often as although its sometimes blerghhhh it does provide me with more motivation to do better if I've put on weight. I also have tried eating my evening meal later so I don't get as hungry at about 10pm. I really do sympathise with you I found it so frustrating spending time cooking a nice healthy meal only to eat it and still feel crazily hungry.
  • Options
    Excersice is the best option for you .
  • Options
    alysa wrote: »
    Excersice is the best option for you .

Yes, thanks for that wonderful advice. As explained above I find it very hard to exercise now, due to my drug problems... I wouldn't be able to take up working out every day so the main issue is my diet. I walk a hell of a lot, and I naturally have a lot of muscle. I don't want to become obsessed over my weight again... I used to have serious issues with food, and I did sports every day and ate a tiny amount. I became very ill. I don't want to lose weight, I just want to keep my weight stable by controlling what I eat.

Thanks YSH, I'm not sure I want to calorie count because it leads to problems for me... but I have made a food chart to write down what I'm eating every day. First step I think is try to cut down on crisps... I eat a lot of crisps because they're the only thing I can throw in my bag in the morning to eat in school, think I might ask my mum to get me some fruit :)
  • Options
    Given in and started comforting eating. I have no willpower at all.
  • Options
    fruit is fab. also drink 2 glasses of water before you eat, as it fills you up but means you don't eat as much. also i know it's not really a good option, but if drinking glasses of water when you get really hungry doesn't help, smoking is an appetite suppressant. but most obviously of all, just eat balanced meals including a good breakfast and try not to fridge-pick throughout the day. by the way, just thought you should know that it's incredible that you're trying so hard to get everything sorted- im not being patronising but its really inspiring!
  • Options
    Intermittent fasting is effective. It requires a bit of willpower, though.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I can see that becoming dangerous for me.

Alice, I'll try drinking more water that'll probably help thank you :) My mum got me some grapes to have instead of crisps so I'll take them in to school with me today.
  • Options
    Okay so... bit weird, but I now have totally the opposite problem. I cut down on food for a few days, and now I have no appetite at all. The thought of food is disgusting, and even if I get really hungry I can't eat, I just throw up. EUURRGHHH :( I just want to be able to eat normally!
  • Options
    its probably all the ket.
  • Options
    I've only been on it since Friday morning and I haven't been able to eat since Wednesday. It probably isn't helping though... I don't know, I don't really know what ket does apart from fuck up your bladder. Going to try and eat today.
  • Options
    Hi Broken-Angel

Many drugs have a suppressing effect on the appetite, and many people say they feel this when they take ketamine. However it's usually quite short-term, so if your appetite hasn't returned within a few days of taking drugs then maybe go to your GP.

You say you don't know much about ket so I thought I'd give you some links to our other content to help you understand it a bit better:

Ketamine factsheet

The story of ketamine

Ketamine case studies

I hope these are helpful :)
  • Options
    Thanks I'll take a read :) I really don't think it's the ket though, as I've been like this since last wednesday and didn't do K till Friday.

The only thing I've got any interest in eating is bread products, the thought of anything else makes me sick. I'll speak to CAMHS next week see what they say.
  • Options
    Alfie01 wrote: »
    Exercise... exercise... exercise..
    you have to do lots of exercise to stable your weight....because losing weight is not a big issue..the main problem is to maintain it that point... also don't eat any junk food.

If you read the previous posts, this has already been discussed.