Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smacking Children

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was always smacked as a child. I think my parents did it to me because their parents did it to them when they were kids. I'd say I'm a reasonably well-behaved teenager so I guess it probably did me more good than harm. My mum was worse than my dad though, in fact my mum still slaps me round the face or throws stuff at me if I do something wrong, but she's learnt that I can give as good as I get now!
    I don't really have a problem with smacking children as long as it's not done excessively and not in public. I hate walking round town and seeing mums doing it, when I was younger my mum just used to walk off or shout at me when we got home.
    I guess I'm probably slightly biased as I had it done to me when I was younger and I turned out ok despite some horrible memories!
    I suppose if I hadn't have been smacked when I was a kid then I might be against the whole thing.
  • Options
    I've just read that the United Nations is warning the UK about their refusal to ban spanking in the home, which is deemed a violation of the international convention to protect the rights of children that was adopted by the UK in 1991.

The only countries not to adopt the convention are Somalia and the U.S.

Besides what is written on paper, are there any plans to ban corporal punishment in the UK?
  • Options
    Re: Smacking Children
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    I was shopping today and I saw a woman hit her son in public. It wasn't just a tap, it was a full blown smack across the face. She hit him because he wouldn't stop crying (hmmm, the logic!).

Do you think you should be allowed to hit your children?

When do you cross the line?

How are you to know what is enough force? Who decides this?!

I was never ever hit as a child. My mum and dad would tap my hand lightly but they were aware that when I was naughty I would be less likely to do it again if I had something I wanted taken away from me (toys, activities, biscuits etc).
    I think smacking children teaches them not to do something in the short term, but the pain goes away, whereas taking something away lasts longer.

Were you hit as a child and if so how did it affect you?
    Will you hit your children?

Well i have a 2 and a half year old son, I dont like to hit him but there are thimes that you just have to i dont thihnk its right to hit kids on the face like that, I give him a slap an odd time when he is bold but i find it more effective if i put him to his bedroom, or takes something from him. But however you have to experience wot it is like to be a parent and have a child acting up on public, it is very frustrating,