Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Help!!!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well, I got my LEA notification of what I am entitled too etc, and I am a bloody wreck now.

Last year I had to pay £160 towards my tuition fees. This year, despite my parents income not increasing at all, I have to pay £611. Hmmm. They won't pay it because they can't afford to. I can't afford to because of the high cost of living where I do (rent, food etc) so I'm fucked. Basically if it isn't a mistake then I am going to have to leave university because I can't afford it.

Could it be a mistake? My parents' income is the same!! THE SAME!! Shit......
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It could be a mistake though its highly unlikely. My advice is not to give up University, but to find other alternatives to solving the problem. For example, if you're not already working then get a job. Or take out a loan which is repayable in small installments.

Although just contact your LEA if there just happens to be a mistake.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jono_H
    For example, if you're not already working then get a job. Or take out a loan which is repayable in small installments.

Thanks, but I already have a job, and I already have a student loan to pay back, I don't think another one will really solve anything in the long term! :(:(:(
  • Options
    You could try writing to your LEA to see why your amount has changed. Ask them why it differs. Maybe they can re-assess your claim?

Scholarships?

Ask your University whether thay have hardship grants, maintenance grants, some for of aid for those who deserve to be there but might not be able to afford it.

From what I've read of your posts, I don't think you should give up university. Everything shuld be tried first!
  • Options
    Try writing to your LEA explaining your situation and stating that you will be forced to leave university if they do not reconsider. [Write politely but firmly...just sounding off won't impress them]. This method has been known to work.

Also contact your university finance office and ask about hardship funds and loans, best to do this now as they take a while to process. Do you have an overdraft with your bank? If you explain your problem they may increase your limit, and this will (usually)be interest free.

Don't give up just yet, you can get through this.

Susie :)
  • Options
    I would like to now update you all on the situation.

My dad, without telling me, earned nearly £4000 more this year than last year, hence my fees going up. I went in a flurry when I got the notification from the LEA and he forgot to mention his little wage increase at the time!!. It was because he did lots of overtime damn him!

So, I do have to pay this much, the LEA is right, DAMN. I still can't afford it though, so I am going to apply for the hardship loans etc (I am already £500 overdrawn, :eek: :( , but it is my own fault)

Thank you for the advice everyone. :)
  • Options
    I think I read somewhere that if your parents earnt more than they usually do for one financial year then you can appeal to them to reconsider your application process. Anything is worth a try. Just get in contact with your local LEA and explain the situation and I'm sure they will try be sympathtic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jono_H
    I think I read somewhere that if your parents earnt more than they usually do for one financial year then you can appeal to them to reconsider your application process. Anything is worth a try. Just get in contact with your local LEA and explain the situation and I'm sure they will try be sympathtic.

Is the financial application not based upon a projection for the forthcoming year? Therefore, if you explain that it was a one off, then they can re consider the application?