Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

moving/studying abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm hoping to move abroad after finishing college and go to live abroad. I'd probably take a year out after moving out there and start uni out there. Has anyone done this and how did they cope?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Haven't actually studied abroad, will next autumn though (that is, England being abroad to me). But have been living abroad, working periodically for a few years. Can't really see why coping would be more of a problem than at any other uni, unless you're moving somewhere with extreme cultural differences or taking courses in a foreign language. And even then - well, a friend of mine is doing fine studying managment in Dutch after living there for a year, another one following classes in St. Petersburg after a year of Russian studies.

You'll probably be fine... as long as you've got the language thing in, or you might take classes in English, but I'd say the whole thing looses it's point a bit then. Any idea as to where you're going?
  • Options
    I lived in France for six months. Although its not far there are so many cultural differences, and of course the language difference!

I thought I'd be OK as I was a big girl (I was 21), had left home a year before uni and wouldn't be homesick at all. Boy was I wrong. Its so lonely working & living somewhere where you don't know anyone. But of course you settle in & I loved it in the end.

PM me if you want to know anything you think I might be able to help with.