Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Meditation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

This is something I've done a little of over the last year at my local MIND.

Just wondered if anyone has done much meditation and if you have any tips or techniques to share or any good websites that list techniques that you are aware of ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    i can suggest to you a cd, meditation classical relaxation volume 5

i have it and it's awsome
  • Options
    Hey mark,

Great to hear that you're exploring meditation :)

You may have seen this as I actually found it on the Mind website but I thought it was worth sharing. It's part of their coping with stress content but has some really interesting info and tips on breathing techniques and relaxation exercises. They also suggest finding a good cd so lady emily's suggestion might be a good place to start?

Here's the Mind link for anyone else that's interested: http://www.mind.org.uk/mental_health_a-z/8045_how_to_manage_stress

I like this bit about imagery:
    Imagery
    Imagery is about imagining. This could be in the form of taking yourself in your mind to a place where you feel relaxed. This can be anywhere you like: a warm beach, a green meadow, a building or room you like and feel comfortable in. The more immersed you become in this place in your mind, the more relaxed you will feel.

Imagery can also take the form of imagining your worries being locked up in a box and put away somewhere, or imagining that the tension is flowing out of your body.

:thumb:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    My favourite resource for meditation (thanks to Fostress) is this -

http://www.getsomeheadspace.com/

Love the approach and the funny little videos/app
  • Options
    Hi thanks for the replies and the information. It's something I've been doing mainly at my local MIND on a Monday - a course called Letting Go. Have found it beneficial thus far for my mental wellbeing and have started going to a local Buddhist meditation class.
  • Options
    I go to a local Buddhist group to meditate and learn Buddhism. We do "loving kindness" meditation and "mindfulness of breathing".

I use mindfulness to ease anxiety and in the past, to ease urges to drink, or self-harm.

At the moment, the Buddhist centre is a god send... I am learning skills to manage my mental illness better and meeting lovely people.

There are different ways to meditate, or combine physical movement with mind and breathing exercise... So my experience won't suit all.