Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why do I feel so tired?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, for the past week I have felt constantly tired (except for about the first hour of being awake) . Like bleary eye tired and just wanting to curl up and sleep- it's making my eyes feel so close to watering during the day and late in the evening they are getting watery. This isn't normal for me. Usually I am tired only in the evenings.

Two important points I can think of are: I am absolutely hating work, and the situation around work at the moment, and I know this is affecting my mood and mental health. It's so stressful and I am finding it challenging.
I am training for the marathon so am running more than I used too... but I have cut down plenty of other exercise (like my walking/cycling) so on average I think my exercise levels the past week have dropped so want to rule that out as a cause.

I thought maybe dehydration, but I have upped my fluid intake (mostly water) today and still feel the same way.

Any one else have any ideas?

Edit: forgot to say I am mostly getting my usual 8/9 hours sleep. So no change there. Though there was one night I struggled to sleep about a week ago but you'd think it wouldn't have such a knock on effect, right?

Comments

• Options
    I am training for the marathon so am running more than I used too... but I have cut down plenty of other exercise (like my walking/cycling) so on average I think my exercise levels the past week have dropped so want to rule that out as a cause.

I feel more lethargic when I don't exercise as much, so this still might be a cause.

Is it possible you could be anaemic, or that your blood sugars are lower than usual because of what you use up on runs?
  • Options
    You might be coming down with something
  • Options
    Well it is winter and there are a lot of bugs and things going around. I would say it could be a virus or something. A lot of people I know have been felling tired and things. I just started sleeping longer than usual and that stopped me feeling tired during the day, but it looks like you get twice as much sleep as me anyway.
    Has the amount of caffeine you take in changed in the last week or so?
    It might just be that all the hard work has caught up with you, with work and running. Sometimes if you're mentally tired, that can also make you physically tired.

Good luck with training for the marathon. :)
  • Options
    i get very very tired if im coming down with something, or sometimes instead of catching full on lurgy, i'll feel knackered for a few days.
    Otherwise, is there any chance you might be pregnant?
  • Options
    thanks guys :) though I hope I am not coming down with something :/

I suppose I could be anaemic, but I have given blood a few times and my iron levels have been ok. Can they vary though day to day? I.e. can you just become anaemic or not? (I don't know much about it).

I'll make sure I get plenty of sleep and see what happens. There's no chance of being pregnant though. That's one less thing to worry about!
  • Options
    If for any reason you haven't been eating as much meat recently you might find you get a bit anaemic, when my dad's on holiday and I'm on mum's veggie stuff I always seem to be tireder
  • Options
    I suppose I could be anaemic, but I have given blood a few times and my iron levels have been ok. Can they vary though day to day? I.e. can you just become anaemic or not? (I don't know much about it).

Anaemia can come and go. Really, we can only throw out ideas, you should see your GP if it persists :)