Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pregnancy test after possible miscarriage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

My friend was pregnant but started to bleed yesterday. It lasted a few hours, and she said she felt sick.

She spoke to the doctors and they said she might still be pregnant and to do a test... but I've just looked online, and on the NHS website it says you might get a false positive after a miscarriage for the next few weeks.

I was going to buy her a test today because she really wants to know if she's still pregnant, but does she need to leave it for a few weeks?

Comments

• Options
    a pregnancy test wont mean anything. She should be offered a scan. I bled quite heavily at one point when pregnant with felix and hes very much here now
  • Options
    a pregnancy test wont mean anything. She should be offered a scan. I bled quite heavily at one point when pregnant with felix and hes very much here now

:yes:

I had a small bleed early on with both of mine.

She should also be scanned if she has miscarried because if it is incomplete it can cause quite a nasty infection. I would contact a midwife or the early pregnancy unit at the hospital rather than a GP, to be honest! GPs are not always so clued up on pregnancy.
  • Options
    Okay thanks Suzy, she's not 12 weeks yet (I think that's the minimum for a scan?) if she phoned up and asked for one would they offer her one now? Or tell her to wait?
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    :yes:

I had a small bleed early on with both of mine.

She should also be scanned if she has miscarried because if it is incomplete it can cause quite a nasty infection. I would contact a midwife or the early pregnancy unit at the hospital rather than a GP, to be honest! GPs are not always so clued up on pregnancy.

Thanks Kaff :) I'll tell her later
  • Options
    There's no minimum! I had one at 8 weeks. My cousin (high risk) had them fortnightly from 6 weeks :)
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    There's no minimum! I had one at 8 weeks. My cousin (high risk) had them fortnightly from 6 weeks :)

I always thought it was from 12 weeks! No idea where I got that from!
    How does she get a midwife? On my local hospitals early pregnancy page it says you have to be referred by a midwife.
  • Options
    Ask at her GP surgery -it differs. At ours they just give you the midwife's number and you self refer. Shouldn't need to actually see the doctor, the receptionists usually know.

ETA: 12 weeks is normally when you'd have your first scan in a straightforward pregnancy, but they will scan you before if there's any sign of trouble.
  • Options
    they can scan at any time
  • Options
    My brothers bit on the side had one at 7 weeks..

and she bled often through her pregnancy with Rio during the first few months...
  • Options
    I always thought it was from 12 weeks! No idea where I got that from!
    How does she get a midwife? On my local hospitals early pregnancy page it says you have to be referred by a midwife.

Routine scans are at 12 weeks but this falls outside of that. She can be referred by midwife, GP or even via A&E if she's really concerned. Alternatively call the hospital as ask to be put through to the Early Pregnancy Unit, I'd expect them to see her without any kind of referral TBH, given the circumstances.

Certainly when we expected our third we had open access