Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

When i was a kid.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
.... i used to believe

If you unscrewed your belly button your bum would fall off

If you ate a pip a tree/plant would grow in your stomach

People who died in films, tv etc were actually crminals who were sentenced to death so they put them in a film where their character got killed to make use of them :D

and my mate Richard believed that when the TV repair man came to fix the telly, it was to clear out all the bodies that had piled up inside.

and if you ate salt on lettuce you had a heart attack

so, anymore ? :)

Comments

• Options
    The pip thing...
    That raisins were dead flies with the wings pulled off (I still hate raisins to this day)
    I didn't understand why we had to re wash dishes after the dogs had licked them clean - I mean they looked clean :P
    I also thought there were little pixies inside traffic lights controlling them because I couldn't understand how they knew when to change
  • Options
    I always thought that every child grew up learning english, then when they were older the spanish learnt spanish, and the french learnt french etc, and we were really lucky that we didn't have to learn another language..
  • Options
    That there was a man under the road lighting the cats' eyes for us
  • Options
    That the dentist sucker thing was turning my mum inside out.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    and my mate Richard believed that when the TV repair man came to fix the telly, it was to clear out all the bodies that had piled up inside.

My grandparents convinced me of this, and it's why we were never allowed to watch programmes with guns etc in them. In reality it was because of my Grandads's PTSD following WW2, but I love how they dealt with that...
  • Options
    I can't remember any personally, but I know my Dad's Grandparents had a dog called Scampi... so he refused to eat scampi and chips on the grounds he thought it was dog and chips :lol:
  • Options
    I used to believe that the reason we had curtains at night was so we couldn't see all the witches, ghosts and vampires flying around at night so they wouldn't scare us.

Also that real life used to be in black and white and that's why there was black and white films. I can still remember my mum explaining to me that I wasnt
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    I would be sucked into the plug hole in the bath.
    That teachers lived in school.
    I was always firmly convinced that if my Dad was more than 5 minutes late in picking me up then it must mean he was either dead or didn't love me anymore.
  • Options
    If I got my ears pierced, my brain would fall out of my ears. Three ear piercings later and my brain is still in my head.
  • Options
    Electricity would leak out of sockets without plugs in them, unless they were turned off. The electricity would fill the room, like invisible and intangible water, and you wouldn't know about it until you suddenly started to drown.
  • Options
    This thread is adorable
  • Options
    I could buy a can of coke, mars bar and a bag of crisps and still have change from a pound.....

Magical times :lol:
  • Options
    If I won who wants to be a milionaire when playing along...the money would come out of the DVD player..
  • Options
    I never understood why ken dolls didn't have a penis - he was a man so he should have had a willy, barbie had boobs after all! In my 6 year old logic anyway
  • Options
    I also believed that if you swallowed a pip, a tree would grow out of your mouth.

That eating bread crusts would make your hair curly (thanks Grandma...!)

That children were born children and adults were born as adults. I used to find it hard imagining everyone was a baby once!
  • Options
    That children were born children and adults were born as adults

It's true. Celm's baby was 8stone 8oz :)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    That the country Greece was actually 'grease' - the kind mechanics get covered in and I believed that when my parents took me there on holiday, our aeroplane was flying into a giant ball of it.

Grease-festival-4-470x325.jpg
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    **helen** wrote: »
    That the country Greece was actually 'grease' - the kind mechanics get covered in and I believed that when my parents took me there on holiday, our aeroplane was flying into a giant ball of it.
    :D

Every country had its own language
    Every country had its own god, and they were all floating above their countries, limited by invisible walls around the country. I particularly imagined the Christian God and Allah chatting from either side of the "wall" between Greece and Turkey.
    People I wasn't around were frozen in time (what would be the point of moving if I'm not there?)
    Giants are actually women who were pregnant and waited too long to give birth, so they grew enough that a full-grown person could fit inside them.
  • Options
    :Giants are actually women who were pregnant and waited too long to give birth, so they grew enough that a full-grown person could fit inside them.
    It's true. Celm's baby was 8stone 8oz

:)
  • Options
    It's true. Celm's baby was 8stone 8oz :)

i'll never live that down :lol:

my brother convinced me that there was a headless horseman at a certain point in the alley way so i ran past it each time
  • Options
    the women in leonard cohen's songs like jane and alexandra were my dad's ex girlfriends.
    my godfather convinced me that the woman that lived in the big house near his was part cat, with massive claws and all that. we always used to run past the house 'just in case'
    mum and father christmas were related cos they had the same handwriting.
  • Options
    My brother convinced me that a witch lived in that house with the tall bushes and little pathway up to the door.

Also that the seeds in tomatoes were actually spiders eggs but i still ate them anyway
  • Options
    That pepsi and/or coke gave you holes in your socks.

My Nan had a "stick" in the cupboard under the stairs, for when we were naughty. I never ever saw it because I was consequently well behaved. Wasn't until she died that I found out it never existed.
  • Options
    I was told that power stations were cloud factories, but I wasn't convinced. Its a good lie to tell children though.
  • Options
    When i was very young, i believed that if i did well at school, and tried very hard every day, i really could grow up to be an elephant.
  • Options
    I thought if I picked my belly button all my insides would come out and I'd die. Haha!
  • Options
    When i were a child, I was told GSCE's were important. Them lies.
  • Options
    Vacation spots were in the sky - because you had to fly to get there.
  • Options
    I though the places where one grows vegetables were called lotments. Not allotments. Daddy has gone to his a lotment. Sort of thing.
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    My brother convinced me that a witch lived in that house with the tall bushes and little pathway up to the door.

We had a house like that near us... it was up a cul-de-sac with loads of trees and there was word that an old man lived there and he would snatch kids and you'd never be seen from again! We moved out of the area before I ever plucked up courage to go up that road alone!