Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mental Health advocacy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just thinking about people here who have assessments and difficult appointments to deal with, and I thought it might help to be aware of mental health advocates.

Mental Health advocates can give people a voice and some support in situations where they might find it hard to be fully honest (because of going over painful details for the millionth time), or simply find it hard to communicate.

Has anyone ever had an advocate? What was it like?

Comments

• Options
    I've never had one, but just clicked on the link, they look like they are helpful to people.

I can think of the idea of them benefiting lots of people :)
  • Options
    Hiya :)
    Great Post. I can really identify with this. I approached a mental health advocate through the mental health services. Although I have been seeing her on and off she has really helped me. I see her when I need some help with sorting out my rights to accessing help as this has been particularly difficult in the past. I am due to see her again next week and discuss another issue. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be able to get hold of these professionals and get my appointments sorted she is like an extra support line for me. I don't see her very often but she isn't much further away than an email I find that really helps when I had difficulties with the local CMHT.
    Anyone else looking for an advocate can try here: http://www.voiceability.org/
    search for your area. I would definitely reccomend they're services if you have one close to you.
    If it wasn't for my advocate I would never have been able to get the support I have been given in the past. I am still struggling to find the right support. :/ I hope that I will with the help of this lady.
  • Options
    Sonia1 wrote: »
    Hiya :)
    Great Post. I can really identify with this. I approached a mental health advocate through the mental health services. Although I have been seeing her on and off she has really helped me. I see her when I need some help with sorting out my rights to accessing help as this has been particularly difficult in the past. I am due to see her again next week and discuss another issue. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be able to get hold of these professionals and get my appointments sorted she is like an extra support line for me. I don't see her very often but she isn't much further away than an email I find that really helps when I had difficulties with the local CMHT.
    Anyone else looking for an advocate can try here: http://www.voiceability.org/
    search for your area. I would definitely reccomend they're services if you have one close to you.
    If it wasn't for my advocate I would never have been able to get the support I have been given in the past. I am still struggling to find the right support. :/ I hope that I will with the help of this lady.

I've had contact with voiceability although I was so unwell at the time I don't remember that much about it. Advocacy is good though.