Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A survey of the Police

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
1. What do you think the general image of police in the UK (or in your country)?

2. Do you think they are doing their job well?

3. Do you think they act fairly on people, without prejudice?

4. If your son (or daughter) wants to be a copper when they've growth up, will you be happy for that?

Comments

• Options
    1. can't say without stereotyping either the police or the general population of the country. or both.

2. I think they are doing there job well, but i think they need to review what that job actually is. Maybe more "public peace and order" than "crime prevention and punishment". Also i think the idea that police have the same stance on all issues and the same responsibilities when off duty is ridiculas.

3. I think, of the last 2 times i had a run in (both times driving) they were prejudice because i was friendly, polite and appologetic, without assuming i was going to get away with anything. Both times i got off scott free and i don't think i would have if i had been surly, aggresive or aurgumentative.

4. I would be happy. It seems like a good career, it is a job for life, teach's civic responsability and is respected by other employers. Why wouldn't i be happy.

I've said before, but never on the board, its not the police that annoy me, its some of the laws they need to uphold.
    I am aware that its not their choice.

I am also aware that its the majority of policepersons being let down the few that gets them a bad image, not the other way around.
  • Options
    1 - General image is good. Hardworking people who are fucked over by government regualtions.

2 - They are doing their job as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

3 - Yes, in probably 99% of cases they act fairly.

4 - No, I wouldnt be happy if my kid wanted to be a police officer. Its a terrible job these days. Low pay, terrible hours, terrible risks(talking lawsuits here, not physical risks), massive scapegoating, huge amounts of pointless paperwork...
  • Options

Depends on the individual, I've met some extremely nice people in the police force, the last time I was done the bloke was wonderful, but then you do get arseholes, the police are just a sample of the public, you get nice people, arseholes, racists, religious people, fat, thin, gay, straight, male, female. Some do a good job, some don't, some are on a power trip, some aren't :)

I agree with Balddog its a shit job to have nowadays and its never been pleasent, my dad tells me of the things he had to do and see, been the first to arrive at an accident, bodies everywhere some kids the age of his own, orphaned kids, informing parents thier only child has been killed, the threats, abuse, unsociable hours, huge responsibilities, paperwork, day to day risking of your life - not ideal :( that is why I have massive respect for any policeman, they do a wonderful job and as individuals they have a good general image, but as Balddog said, the governement screw them over and it drags them down as a unit :mad:
  • Options
    Re: A survey of the Police
    Originally posted by Nice Kick
    1. What do you think the general image of police in the UK (or in your country)?

4. If your son (or daughter) wants to be a copper when they've growth up, will you be happy for that?

1. They are getting themselves a reputation for becoming a branch of the social services and not doing enough to catch the bad guys, but I think this is the fault of a government which drowns them in paperwork.

2. I was mugged once, the police took a statement from me and that was the last I heard from them. If they caught the guy they didn't tell me, so no I don't think they are doing a good job.

3. Yes, despite being branded "institutionally racist" which I think is a load of bollocks.

4. Yes I would. I would do it myself but I am nowhere fit enough.
  • Options
    1) At the moment, the police force is seen as something of a shambles... and this is only partly accurate. However, it's not the police themselves that have facilitated this view. Generally, people can see that the police officers are hardworking.

2) I think that they are not allowed to do their job well enough because of government rescrictions. Saying that, I firmly believe that they are doing the best job possible in the present conditions. I should also add that not all of their flaws are down to the government, but it's certainly something that holds them back. The government are afraid to give the police too much power. We've seen that this yields some negative results in the States. Mayor Rudy Guiliani gave the NY police force an almost totalitarian power over the city, and many officers abused this. I would stick my neck out to call these isolated incidents, as overall NY has benefitted from the move and Guiliani's strategies have paid off. The UK are scared and impatient to make a similar move in giving police enough power to do their job. Moreover, even if police succeed in their work, the UK justice system will undo it all. But that's another issue.

3) On the whole, yes I do believe they act fairly, without prejudice and in the public's best interest. I'm not going to ignore the occasions that prejudice does occur, but the accusation of the police force being institutionally racist is unfounded, even with these few instances.

4) I would be happy and proud if my child expressed a desire to join the police force. I would have the normal worries for their safety, as it's a high-risk occupation. But it is a very altruistic and longterm job with many possibilities. I'd still have my doubts in various areas (i.e. pay, safety etc)
  • Options
    Re: A survey of the Police

I have massive respect for anyone who has to deal with the scum of the country, face-to-face.

Like most school reports really. Could do better, but this time that is a leadership problem from political leader to senior police.

No, I think they target specific group of people.

Namely criminals :D

I'd be proud.