Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Kitten success

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We ended up with a kitten!! Her name is Evie, she 11 weeks old and black all over with huge green eyes.

I've had cats before but never a kitten this young. We have some adult wet food which she seems to be fine with but we need to get kitten dry food because adult food is just too big. She not a fan of water, I've given her a mix of milk and water which is slightly better but she still isn't drinking much.

I'm taking her to the vets this week to get her checked out and have her first lot of injections, but I'm a bit worried about fleas! She only scratches the same place (around her neck) and I've had a good look and I couldn't find anything. I also don't want to use anything too harsh because she's so little, any ideas? I'm wondering if its ear mites instead?

Also any ideas on keeping the smell of the litter down? We're changing it every day at the moment but that's probably going to mean we're going through 2 bags of litter a week.

And any other tips to keep the little one happy and healthy! Currently she mews like crazy whenever she can't see me, she sleeps on me and she hides when ever I'm gone for more than 10-15 mins. Otherwise she seems to be very happy and healthy and she's making me happier too!

Comments

• Options
    i would get her kitten food if possible otherwise it will make her poo worse than normal and fart because it will be too much for her tummy.
    dont worry about drinking. She will when shes thirsty. Plain water if fine. Milk can upset their tummies. She may be scratching if the food is not right for her. If it was fleas I think youd see them on her tummy and neck.
  • Options
    You can buy flea collars, if you wanted her to have a collar that is. Never tried them, but they're supposed to work! She sounds so cutee :D

My kitten was never a fan of water, but they drink it if they get thirsty, and end up used to it!
  • Options
    Milk, cows milk, isnt good for cats, well some. Can give em the shits really bad because of the lactose. As Suze says, get some wet kitten food for her. She'll need regualr worming, with powder in food for a few weeks, as they can get worms from breatsfeeding their mum.

I'm not a fan of collars, for ID or fleas. Ours are microchipped and when they were adults spot on once a month for fleas and every 3 months for worms. It can be expensive, but the bob martins stuff from the supermarket seems to work fine and is a lot cheaper than the stuff from the vet.

Think seriously about insurance, you can get some pretty good deals. We were with pet plan, about £8 month, then swapped to Sainsburys as we get double points on shopping etc. Similar cover and cost. The earlier you do it the cheaper it will be. Only used it once so far and i we weren't insured it'd of been £450 for emergency visit to vet, couple of stitches and a jab.
  • Options
    Don't have much to add (I agree with Rubberskin about collars, with hindsight wouldn't have bothered but microchipping wasn't so common when mine was little).

As for the litter, try a tray with a lid on and use the antibacterial stuff. We've found wood chips the least offensive smelling.
  • Options
    Oh, and as for toys. I wouldn't go overboard. From plennty of experience, a ball of screwed up paper/sweet wrapper/kinda egg thing with some dried beans in is just as much fun as a plastic ball for £3.99p :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Oh, and as for toys. I wouldn't go overboard. From plennty of experience, a ball of screwed up paper/sweet wrapper/kinda egg thing with some dried beans in is just as much fun as a plastic ball for £3.99p :)

yep! Macavity used to go mental over quality street wrappers. Bits of yarn also good (although what feline-focussed knitter could resist these?)
  • Options
    Before using flea chemicals check that they are ok on kittens. Spot on flea treatment is best for keeping them away when she's bigger.
  • Options
    Post piccies! :D

Start combing asap especially if you suspect fleas. I know it can be awkward because she is probably so tiny but getting them used to being combed and checked is a good idea. We made this mistake with Battlecat and now she absolutely hates it and won't sit still.

Maybe hold off on flea treatment until you've seen the vet as a lot of products aren't safe to use on kittens.

Get her microchipped and remember to neuter when she's old enough! Oh and play with her lots :D

RS we were on pet plan too but I'm really concerned if BC needs emergency treatment. Will def look into Sainsbury cos I didnt realise they did pet insurance :thumb:
  • Options
    RE: pet insurance. A lifetime policy is really worth it. If your animal contracts something long term, when you come to renew a non lifetime policy it'll count as a pre-existing condition. With lifetime that doesn't happen and your animal will remain covered.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    yep! Macavity used to go mental over quality street wrappers. Bits of yarn also good (although what feline-focussed knitter could resist these?)

Macavity <3
  • Options
    oh and I can really, really reccomend Royal Canin dry food. You can usually get it at a subsidised rate at the vets or failing that we get our bags from Amazon. It may seem like a lot for petfood but it's proven to be a good investment. It lasts for ages, is reccomended by vets and really seems to make a difference to their health. When my mum switched to it for our elderly cats they just seemed to really perk up resulting in less trips to the vets. It's like what spinich is to Popoye or something.
  • Options
    Ok - so she does have fleas, sorting out a vet appointment for early next week. Just need to now treat the living room and the bedroom. Argh!

Did get some kitten food and she seems to be a bit better on that - I want to get the best for her but its also about cost too.

Re- insurance : the PDSA do insurance which I think works with the PDSA services. I'm going to see if I can get her jabs and neutered with my local PDSA vet because I can't really afford it right now.
  • Options
    Macavity <3

He was awesome. But a bit thick, ironically.
  • Options
    can you just frontline her. You can buy it from pet stores
  • Options
    She's not going outside yet and probably not for a bit when she does I'll be putting a collar on her. Same with toys - as I speak she's going nuts over a new toy - catnip mouse on elastic on a stick.

I'd love to train her, she's already answering to her name, so tip away please!!
  • Options
    Accipiter wrote: »
    If you can't afford it, then it may be best for her to live somewhere else ??

It is when you have the least money that animals will get injured or ill because they are helpful like that! In the past month I had to spend over £220 on my hawk in veterinary appointments and medication. I was lucky - when my brother's Red-tail broke his coracoid, he spent almost £700 on it.

I can afford £5-10 a month insurance what I can't afford is £50 for her jabs and £70 + to have her done. Plus it would break my heart to part with her now. I am a responsible pet owner, like I have had cats before just not kittens, and it was either me or the animal shelter (and our local isn't a no kill shelter, a lot of animals get put down quickly if they aren't rehomed quickly).
  • Options
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I can afford £5-10 a month insurance what I can't afford is £50 for her jabs and £70 + to have her done. Plus it would break my heart to part with her now. I am a responsible pet owner, like I have had cats before just not kittens, and it was either me or the animal shelter (and our local isn't a no kill shelter, a lot of animals get put down quickly if they aren't rehomed quickly).

Accipiter does have a point. If I were you I'd start saving for the jabs and to have her fixed. Your insurance will no doubt depend on her being kept vaccinated, I know mine is, and if you can't afford jabs for one kitten, you won't be able to afford them for an entire litter.

I don't want to sound harsh, but some things have to be said.

On the bright side, cats can be trained like any other animal, with their favourite treats, and repetitiveness.
  • Options
    none of my animals are insured.

Mind you, i did have to cough up £600 when my dog ate a peach stone last year to remove it from her stomach, but the vet let us pay in installments. Ive never had a vet that didnt let me pay in installments actually.
  • Options
    Is there a local PDSA that might be able to help you with spaying and jabs cost.
    Youll definitely want her neutered unless you actually want to breed from her. Keeping a cat inside when shes in season, is neither pleasant or easy. She will go crazy and youll have male cats calling at your window day and night and she will be calling them back.
  • Options
    Is there a local PDSA that might be able to help you with spaying and jabs cost.

This is what I was saying!
  • Options
    Accipiter wrote: »
    Awesome, I'll write up my training techniques tonight when I'm on my laptop as it is effort on my phone. I have done a lot of experimenting with training techniques for felines and I believe that I have come up with some very effective methods.

I have trained quite a few cats now, and I have taught them (amongst other commands) to sit, touch, stand up, high five, lie down, station trained, target trained, recalls, etc. People underestimate how quick cats are to learn these things. I do operant conditioning now, as this seems to suit a cats mentality. Anyway, I'll tell you more about it later. :)

Would you mind posting them here? :) I'd be really interested to read!

Miss_Riot, it's the initial spaying and jabs for the kitten that is the ball-ache financially. Once that was over with I found things became a lot easier. I guess it's good to be prepared with insurance/ pet plans etc but don't let that bog you down just yet. Cats are relatively cheap to look after and you'll find your own way of doing things.
  • Options
    On what other people have said - I wouldn't be surprised if a local vet would let you do a payment plan. Other than that this is the situation credit cards were invented for!
  • Options
    id love to know how to make my cat high five or roll over.
    At the moment her tricks range as far as waking me up at 5 am miaowing for food and trying to breastfeed off my jumper
  • Options
    Have you thought about the RSPCA? Not sure if it is the same in your area, but they do neutering and vaccinations. http://www.rspca.org.uk/in-action/whatwedo/vetcare
  • Options
    I will try this tomorrow :thumb:

We have quite a few bags of those Dreamies that I can use as a reward.
  • Options
    just to let you all know - If you're in a PDSA clinic area and get council tax benefit or housing benefit you can get PDSA care by paying £7.50 every six months and then donating some money to them after treatment. But you have to keep up with vacinations, worming and fleas. Cats protection will offer some financial assistance with neutering as well.
  • Options
    I know it turned out your kitten has fleas, but it's worth pointing out cats can get eczema too which can cause them to itch :)
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    just to let you all know - If you're in a PDSA clinic area and get council tax benefit or housing benefit you can get PDSA care by paying £7.50 every six months and then donating some money to them after treatment. But you have to keep up with vacinations, worming and fleas. Cats protection will offer some financial assistance with neutering as well.

Good to know, applaud PDSA as well, making it easier to have healthy happy pets for everyone.
  • Options
    I know it turned out your kitten has fleas, but it's worth pointing out cats can get eczema too which can cause them to itch :)

Yeah I had a long talk on the phone with the vet nurse who said that you can easily get the dosage wrong for kittens for both worming and flea stuff so she said just to wait and get it done there - which is good because the first appointment is free (but I still have to pay for her injections, and the flea and worm treatment...argh!!)