Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Burns

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
Does anyone know how to stop a burn scarring? i burnt my arm yesterday on an iron by mistake and i really dont want another scar? also if i cant stop it scarring then is there anyway to make it less noticable.
Thanx

Comments

• Options
    I had a nasty incident with an iron once eugh! What I would do first is buy and anti septic cream so that the wound does not become infected.

I find with tissue that may or may not scar vitamin E oil or cream helps.
  • Options
    DONT PICK THE SCAB!!!

If the burn isnt too deep then it shouldnt scar if you leave it and take care of it. If it is deep then go to docs anyway!

DONT COVER THE WOUND - burns/scabs tend to stick to bandages etc...

Be careful when you shower/bath and use a towel to dry yourself as this can aggrivate it.

If I was you go to the docs and get some cream if it gets a little nasty then when the new skin appears (i.e. no scab) Vit E cream is a god send...
  • Options
    Iam a first aider and as long as youy ran the scar under cold water until the stinging stopped this helps the recovery period.

after wards it is best to do nothing but if it does become infected a trip to the docs maybe a good idea. dont put any cream on it until the scar has formed then antiseptic may be a good idea. as long as you keep the scab on there and dont knock, pick or scratch at it the scar will be minimal if at all. the chances are that you have scarred it and when it has healed vitamin E is good to help fade scars.

Hope its heal well

*DEVIL*
  • Options
    Thanks for the help.... just another question- what should i do about the blisters-theres a few little ones where the iron actually wen on my arm and the area around it is red. is this normal or am i a freak?! i put my arm under cold water straight away and iv kept putting savlon on it. all help v.welcome!!!!
    Thanks!
  • Options
    You are not a freak - chill ....

Leave the blisters as they are - if you pop them or destroy them you may run the risk of infecting it, plus they are there to protect the burn and sensitive tissue underneath, leave them be...

Advice - quit with the savlon, you need to let it heal naturally, let air get to it for it to dry. The rubbing action and keeping it moist can aggrivate it, keeping it moist will help bacteria and germs. Plus you may actually introduce germs from the savlon tube (especially if its messy round the screw cap!) or your fingers.

As Devil said when the scab goes away then you can use creams...
  • Options
    Actually - question for you:

How big is this burn?

If its large than a 50p peice (one of the new ones or an old 10p peice) then you should go to the doctors...
  • Options
    its a big triangle thing- bout 10cm 10 cm 5 cm:( but it isnt v.deep only the top of the skin is blistering. any thoughts? i really appriciate all ur help by the way:D
  • Options
    thats massive, how on earth did you manage to iron your arm like that?
  • Options
    i have no idea....my friend got me to iron her hair and well i dunno how the iron got on my arm i just wasnt paying attention :( but now iv got a massive burn mark :( :mad:
  • Options
    ironing hair - very 60s:)
    bet her hair got frazzled
  • Options
    i no-shes got really puffy hair! but she insisted i put starch in it and its gone all minging so hopefully theres a wee bit of justice in it!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    its a big triangle thing- bout 10cm 10 cm 5 cm:( but it isnt v.deep only the top of the skin is blistering. any thoughts? i really appriciate all ur help by the way:D

err... with something that big I would go and see a doctor.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

Definitely go and see the doctor with a burn that big your skin may have trouble healing properly... dont worry too much though as if its not deep it should heal but go see the doctor!!