Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fuck you Asda

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Also mumsnet discussion

Short version, I think it's insensitive and sexist.

Comments

• Options
    I didn't like it that much but I'm not particularly mad about it.
  • Options
    Here's my thing, there seem to be two subtexts. First, if you have a shit christmas it's your mum's fault. Second, if you don't have a mum, you can't have a great christmas.

One is sexist, the other is insensitive.
  • Options
    This reminds me of something
  • Options
    I love bill bailey.
  • Options
    I agree on both points, but still - they're just ads. Nobody has the right not to be offended, afterall, and most ads are targeted at someone. Look at the ads that point out how funny it is to hit men in the balls / how incompetent they are at basic household chores - completely shocking but its not men who they're trying to get to buy so who cares?

This ad is aimed at your housewife needing to do shopping for christmas. The one who feels like she does do all the work. Reinforcing this self-image, telling her, that yes - the world would literally fall apart without her - helps to connect her to the ad. And ads and marketing are all about connecting with your viewer.

As far as Asda are concerned, the people who are angry about it are not worth worrying about as long as the target audience are reached. Maybe they can get some more PR legs out of it by running a public 'I'm sorry - we were wrong' thing in a week or so. Extra browny points for being controversial.

It's the nature of advertising.
  • Options
    As an aside as to whether this will be effective: everytime a news story comes out panning Call of Duty for one reason or another, they actual get a sales uplift. This is because a lot of people were already interested in buying it, but everytime you talk about it, you generate more impressions which then results in more sales.

There is seldom such a thing as bad press.
  • Options
    I read a similar thing by some chick at the telegraph that feminists need to pick their battles. I disagree, and frankly, I can't think of many occasions where men are made out to be incompetent at household chores, unless they're being compared to a woman.

Asda clearly called up this idea from the 1950s, where women "do" the house, and everyone has a mum and a dad and a traditional christmas. It's not on anymore, saying it's "the nature of advertising" is a poor excuse.
  • Options
    She is hot though. So there's that.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I read a similar thing by some chick at the telegraph that feminists need to pick their battles. I disagree, and frankly, I can't think of many occasions where men are made out to be incompetent at household chores, unless they're being compared to a woman.

Asda clearly called up this idea from the 1950s, where women "do" the house, and everyone has a mum and a dad and a traditional christmas. It's not on anymore, saying it's "the nature of advertising" is a poor excuse.

I work a little in advertising so I have a small understanding; honestly though Asda is a big brand so will care about negative PR, but for the bottom line, this controversy is probably only a good thing.

What I mean about 'nature of advertising', is that it will be directed at an audience and expected to resonate with that audience. A good comment on retailweek about it:
    The more sensible point in all of this is that advertising, by its very nature, is targeted; and, by virtue of the fact that it has a limited time in which to convey a message, has to be focused and, therefore, slightly exclusive. It would be impossible for Asda to produce an advert that included every type of household and every type of family situation. So, it produces an advert that speaks to the majority and to its customer base with a message it believes will resonate. It also, in this case, used humour to convey a story that, to be perfectly frank, many people will recognise as having a grain of truth in it.

That this is so does not imply that other family situations or setups are unworthy or of less status, nor does it warrant an investigation by the Advertising Standards Authority because around 0.0006% of the population has formally complained.

It is very easy to find offensive ads, and yes, there are plenty of ads poking fun at men but again its just how advertisers work. They are trying to sell a narrative to a particular person and everyone else can, kinda, get fucked.

I mean write a petition by all means and get a million signatures on it, march on downing street, but Asda has still done nothing wrong besides being offensive or insensitive in the way plenty of advertising campaigns are.
  • Options
    Loving the title of this thread.. For personal reasons ;)

My take on the advert is that it's lazy and has the same boring stereotypes which are offensive to both sexes. The part that really pissed me off is the end line, 'What's for dinner love?'. Fuckoff.
  • Options
    I just think that this kind of sexism exists insidiously and thoughtlessly throughout our society. For example "is your baby kicking a lot?" "then you must be having a boy"
  • Options
    Seeing as Mr Riot does the vast majority of the cooking and cleaning (and will be this xmas if we have anywhere to have it), it doesn't represent my life in any way. But I think this advert says more about ASDA than anything else - they are out of touch with modern society and seem to think casual sexism is perfectly fine.

And its her own fault for getting a real tree, course you'll have to spend the next 6 months getting pine needles out of everything!
  • Options
    Put a sheet under it. Job done.
  • Options
    Had a massive rant about this advert the other day in a critical thinking lesson. Another advert that really annoys me is one that says something like "Helping her grow up" I think it's for aptamil baby formula... Not all babies are girls :yeees:
  • Options
    I just think that this kind of sexism exists insidiously and thoughtlessly throughout our society. For example "is your baby kicking a lot?" "then you must be having a boy"

I agree. It's become almost casual and accepted. If a woman is experiencing a negative emotion than it's her 'hormones' when really it should just be treated like any other genuine emotion. I got into a heated debate on facebook with someone and a male friend who was reading it told me that I'm allowed to be pissy and angry because I'm pregnant.

I could list a whole host of recent sexist encounters I've had from the estate agent who 'joked' that he'd show me the kitchen first because he knows how us women love our kitchens to a maintenance man who when I was asking questions about the boiler directed every single response to my boyfriend.

I'm going off on a tangeant here but sexism does still exist and is prevalent. Asda have the right to make a shit advert but by the same token others have the right to point out in merciless detail why said advert is shit especially if we are ever going to change the same boring, accepted and repetative attitude towards men and women.
  • Options
    I can give another example. I'll do almost anything NOT to cry in front of men at work because I think they will stop taking me seriously as an engineer if I show emotion. Because that's what chicks do. If I can play the boys club games, no-one cares if I've got tits.
  • Options
    Careful now, let's not swing too far the other way in this round of backslapping.
  • Options
    Absolutely and I do agree with you all that sexism is still prevalent and that its not harmless.

I just think with regard to the Asda advert its impact is limited enough that it's not, for me, worth getting mad about.

I guess I am arguing the 'picking battles' line in that case. Today I read 75,000 children will be homeless this Christmas which irks me a lot more than this. www.cih.org/housingreport out tomorrow and I expect the situation to be: all the poor people are worse off.
  • Options
    I choose to be masculine in the office, and I project concerns, that have in the past turned out not to be true. But they've also turned out to be true an almost equal amount, the 8-1 ratio in engineering degrees is just a matter of time, in my opinion.

My problem is that we still have careless sexism. Careless sexism is the tesco halloween costume display where the "boys" section includes a glow in the dark skeleton costume, and the "girls" includes a skeleton costume covered with pink hearts. My problem is somewhere my 13yr old neice has picked up that her little brother "looks like a little girl" because when he was 4 he had blond curls that were maybe 3 inches long. My problem is, that a great christmas needs a mum.

Also, "picking battles" is a load of crap as far as I'm concerned. It's like saying because women are so violently oppressed in some areas of the world I shouldn't worry about blokes shouting "alright darlin'!?"
  • Options
    But isn't that like saying your problem is we still have diseases?

It really sucks but there's a point where you need to get on with life... go for the wins and not agonise over every thing that sucks?

edit: when I say 'you' I mean as a synonym for 'one' rather than you particularly. I am talking in generalisms about how this issue doesn't feel to me to be big enough on the radar to mobilise on downing street.
  • Options
    I can give another example. I'll do almost anything NOT to cry in front of men at work because I think they will stop taking me seriously as an engineer if I show emotion.

To be fair, that's bit of a bad example. I can't think of any time when the men would all break down in tears and sob with one another either.

As for this ASDA thing, as some others have said, they have a target audience, they've aimed the ad at them and to hell with everyone else, and I think it is still a reasonably accurate reflection of what actually happens at christmas.

Hands up those who's dad's do all the shopping, wrap all the gifts and cook the biggest, most important meal of the year......
  • Options
    I dont think I'm particularly getting 'mad' over the advert but if I was then my 'madness' has no limitations and doesn't need to be restricted to one issue. I can still get angry over the fact that a 31 year old pregnant woman was allowed to die in Ireland because doctors refused to perform an abortion just like I can get angry at a stupid advert on the television.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Hands up those who's dad's do all the shopping, wrap all the gifts and cook the biggest, most important meal of the year......

Hands up whose parents ultimately share the responsability of entertaining, cooking, wrapping gifts, deciding where to put a Christmas tree.

Aye.
  • Options
    I dont think I'm particularly getting 'mad' over the advert but if I was then my 'madness' has no limitations and doesn't need to be restricted to one issue. I can still get angry over the fact that a 31 year old pregnant woman was allowed to die in Ireland because doctors refused to perform an abortion just like I can get angry at a stupid advert on the television.

Absolutely not saying you can't :) and I don't believe anyone else has said that either.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Absolutely not saying you can't :) and I don't believe anyone else has said that either.

You did kinda insinuate it with the 'pick your battles' line. I understand that it hasn't grinded your gears personally but that doesn't mean it isn't worthy of other's condemnation.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    As for this ASDA thing, as some others have said, they have a target audience, they've aimed the ad at them and to hell with everyone else, and I think it is still a reasonably accurate reflection of what actually happens at christmas.

Im so glad youve said this cos i was afraid to.

Yes, the advert could show a bit more diversity as to other people doing jobs. I sure there are very few families where mum does EVERYTHING. However, it is a representation of their target audience, if not mums, then whoever does the xmas stuff: dad, gran, when i was a student we had a mini xmas, whoever organised that. As an organiser of xmas you're still likely to empathise with the woman in the advert doing all the shopping, wrapping, cooking etc no matter who you are or your gender, race, etc
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Im so glad youve said this cos i was afraid to.

Yes, the advert could show a bit more diversity as to other people doing jobs. I sure there are very few families where mum does EVERYTHING. However, it is a representation of their target audience, if not mums, then whoever does the xmas stuff: dad, gran, when i was a student we had a mini xmas, whoever organised that. As an organiser of xmas you're still likely to empathise with the woman in the advert doing all the shopping, wrapping, cooking etc no matter who you are or your gender, race, etc

You've said that "there are very few families where mum does EVERYTHING" so how is it a representation of their target audience if they're pinning a great Christmas on mum?
  • Options
    I meant that was a point where the advert could show more diversity, however, it is usually one person doing everything in a household, not necessarily mum but someone
  • Options
    So why not behind every "great christmas there's asda"?
  • Options
    Because Asda aren't trying to get themselves to do the shopping.

The ad is aimed at the mums out there who feel like they do all of the work at Christmas. It's saying, look how easy we can make your Christmas, to the mums who can relate to the character in the advert.

Yes, plenty of households don't match the ad, but Asda clearly reckon that the "mum who feels they do everything at Christmas" demographic is one worth targeting with an advertising campaign. My guess would be that through their choice, they're targeting the majority especially at this time of year. Get to 2 days before Christmas and men are your better target, from personal experience housed far more men in supermarkets around bank holidays then at any other time.