Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Not using Facebook, losing touch, people going abit crazy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sooooo since about February I have not been on Facebook, and thats literally not going on it at all. I just lost interest in it and stopped signing in and tbh I've not missed it at all.

I have "friends" on there from all over. Uni mates, mates at home and just the usual acquaintances you have on there. Tbh I very rarely kept in touch with people while I was on there, just the usual hey, how you doing? whats going on these days? There were a couple of uni mates I would go up and see every now and then.

I keep in touch with my mates at home (the ones I do stuff with) via phone and texting. So didnt really feel the need to use facebook for that. The downside of that is some people are starting to think I'm ignoring them as I'm not on facebook these days.

I have had a few missed calls from Uni friends, who are on my facebook, but I never got round to returning the call. That is something I'm really bad at, I admit. But its kind of weird, I've not missed facebook at all and honestly, even if it sounds abit bad, I've not really been that fussed about catching up with everyone.

Its not like i would ignore them if I saw them in real life. I just dont have much time these days to spend on Facebook but I have this feeling that they think I'm purposefully ignoring them. I should have just returned their call at the time but now more time has gone on and on it just feels like it would be abit awkward to ring them up now.

I've had a few texts and whatsapp messages the last few days, that are well....they sound really arsey and are really moany. I mean I'm still not all that arsed. I replied and asked how everyone was but tbh I cant be arsed to chat if they're going to spend half the time going "WHY THE FUCK HAVENT YOU RESPONDED TO MY FB MESSAGE FROM 4 MONTHS AGO".

Just feels abit awkward atm.

Comments

• Options
    I closed my facebook in January or February and I haven't missed it either. I think maybe go on facebook, post something saying "if you want to contact me do this..." (although if you close your account this will be deleted along with everything else) and just explain to anyone who texts you that you aren't using facebook at the moment.
    If they get arsey that's the problem, and just leave them to it!
    Oh, and if you close a facebook account you can re-open it at any time and all your stuff will come back :thumb:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The way you keep contact with people is phone calls and meetings. If you don't respond to those, of course people will think you're ignoring them.
    FB allows you to keep contact passively in a way, and so you can "keep contact" with more people than the ones you would otherwise. You're ok with that but if you do want to keep contact with some, do so in another way.
  • Options
    Not signing onto facebook isn't a bad thing, although I can see why ppl are upset you haven't responded to direct messages or to phone calls. The fact they have made a distinct effort to contact you speaks volumes. I'd personally set your facebook to send you a notification by email if someone sends you a direct message. and do what broken angel suggests, change your status to your email address so people can get in touch. The very act of people contacting you outside of facebook will show you who real friends are.
  • Options
    Agree with everyone on here. It may feel awkward initially but I think it'll feel more and more awkward to you the longer you leave it. I have friends that are crap at keeping in touch and am also really notorious for thinking I've replied to a text when I haven't. It's become a bit of a running joke but lots of people are guilty of this.
  • Options
    I find I usually make too much effort contacting other people, and they never contact me, so I just give up because I'm not going to waste my time with it.
  • Options
    Unflithen wrote: »
    I find I usually make too much effort contacting other people, and they never contact me, so I just give up because I'm not going to waste my time with it.

Hey I do the same thing, we should be friends.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Hey I do the same thing, we should be friends.

For ever and ever and ever! Friend! Car friend? Football friend?
  • Options
    Unflithen wrote: »
    For ever and ever and ever! Friend! Car friend? Football friend?

All of the above.
  • Options
    Omg how dare you not base your life around the Internet! It's probably weird seeing those who only want to contact you via fb but it is a helluva good way ( lol my phone typed slap a food way) to see who *really* wants to contact you. A friend knows your number, a friend knows your address, a friend knows they can text you and never get a text back because that's how you roll.
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to mention GoodFella, people seem to get incredibly offended when you don't have facebook... the amount of people who've said to me "why the fuck have you deleted me?!" and then you have to explain that, no that isn't the case, I've deleted the whole thing..
    that's why it's best to put up a status for a few days before you delete it saying a way to contact :) I think it would be better to delete it though, rather than just not use it, because I can understand why people would get annoyed if they don't get a reply to an inbox or something. Unless you do what Whowhere says, and change your settings so you get an email when someone writes to you on facebook.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    Omg how dare you not base your life around the Internet! It's probably weird seeing those who only want to contact you via fb but it is a helluva good way ( lol my phone typed slap a food way) to see who *really* wants to contact you. A friend knows your number, a friend knows your address, a friend knows they can text you and never get a text back because that's how you roll.

My problem would be mostly (and even if this sounds sad) without things like Facebook nobody would contact me, except my mum.

So for some people it's a waste of time, for some, it's the crack of light under the door in what would otherwise be a lonely existence. It's no replacement for 'real' social contact, but as a replacement for no social contact? I'll take it.