Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self-Harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, while looking around for some advice/help, my girlfriend, -ky, found this site. As of late, she's had some problems with self-harm where she feels that it's how she should be punished when something goes wrong. I've been doing my best to help, but we both agreed some extra advice/help through it would be helpful. I'm writing here for her, because shes a bit nervous about coming out and talking about it. She's going to be paying attention to the thread though and she'll likely post once she gets a bit more comfortable on the site.

Comments

• Options
    hey :)

I previously self harmed, and still getting urges too occasionally.
    but my boyfriend didnt like me hurting myself, altho he understands why i do, he hates seeing me hurt. i've promised him i wont again coz i dont wanna hurt him.
    However, there is a page on ways to distract those thoughts and urges, i will try finding it and linking it to you :)
    Also, the support chats which are on most nights are amazingly helpful :)

Hope i helped a little, and i will try finding that link for ya x
  • Options
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Rurouni,

Welcome to the boards, I don't actually know how to respond to this, but I just wanted to say, I'm glad your friend has a friend like you, it can be difficult to come out about self harm, has your friend considered visiting your GP, you can go a long with her, for moral support. Visiting your GP or A&E for self harm can be scary at first, TheSite.org have a small video that you might find helpful ^.^ and a article :3

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/visitingyourdoctor

I hope you find it a little bit helpful! I had a friend who self harmed, and wasn't getting much support for it, sometimes friends just need that little push in to telling someone, and it can be difficult, but she's taken the first step telling you, how about a article on helping a friend who self harms? http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/selfharm/supportingsomeonewhoselfharms
    Their are some do's and don't on the page, and I hope you find it useful a bit! Like Kelly said, their are support chats through out the week, and if you or your friend would like to take part in one, here if the link to the times!
    thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat The chats a friendly environment and at times takes adjusting to, but the members are all very kind, and very supportive. (So you can ask for support their)

TheSite.org also have a Question and Answers area, so you can also ask question there if you want, and will be answered by the appropriate people, you can share this with your friend or check it out yourself, their are also other question that have been asked in the pass you may want to check out :)http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite/askaquestion

Look after yourself, and welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    Thank you for the welcome, and we'll definitely be looking at those links when we have the chance. :) If we find anything else to mention we'll definitely come back to this thread or one of the chats. Thank you for the help!
  • Options
    Hello :) I'm said girlfriend. My name is Kylie and I'm so glad to have finally found a forum that can support us through this. Thank you :):heart: