Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Rights concerning breaks

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
As some of you know I work in a pub. I was just wondering how many hours I have to work before I am entitled to a break?
I work 6 hours at night, however I'm not bothered about a break at night because I'm not usually starving to death.
However sometimes I work 6 hours during the day and not 8. When I work 6 my boss says I'm not entitled to a break unless I work more than 6. What does the law say?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You are entitled to a rest break of 20 mins if you work for more than 6 hours. For more info, contact your trade union or the Low Pay Unit (020 7713 7583) www.lowpayunit.org.uk
  • Options
    i worrk for 4 hours and i have a 15 min break! apparently the law states anyone working 4 or more hours should get a break!
  • Options
    Originally posted by dizzy blonde babe
    i worrk for 4 hours and i have a 15 min break! apparently the law states anyone working 4 or more hours should get a break!

If you are under 18 perhaps!
  • Options
    i worked 10 hours without a break for 3 and a half years:eek:
  • Options
    Im pretty sure that after 4 hours of work you are entitled to a break but im not sure if that is only when you are working A full 8 hour shift. As far as i know though you get a break every 4 hours. My boyfriend and my dad does but that may just be because they are part of a big company.
  • Options
    If you click the link which Karla has put up you will find that most of you are wrong where breaks are concerned. :cool:
  • Options
    When i work for 4 hours, i get a 15 minute break. When i work for 6 hours i get a lunch break! Personally for 6 hours i think you should yes. and most places that i know of do get a break for that amount of work.
  • Options
    The working time directive also states that if you work over the hours of 11-4, you are entitled to an unpaid 45 minute long break...
    hope this helps WhoWhere ;)

MissM
  • Options
    miss magpie.....

Is this 45 minute unpaid break stated on the web anywhere that i can print off?? as a friend of mine is working 9am til 6pm with only the 30 minute break.