Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Skin - acne, epiduo and make up removal

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been using acne products from the doctor for several years and recently started using epiduo and lymecycline. It makes my skin really hurt. I was recommended not to use skin care products except bland soap and the epiduo. I sometimes wear make up, I know this isn't ideal but my face looks disgusting to the extent it makes me want to cut it off so if I am going somewhere I will encounter people (e.g. volunteering or to church) I wear oil free make up. I just wondered what is the best way to remove the make up? I need something really bland as my face stings all the time from the epiduo but that isn't oily as the oil makes the acne worse or maybe this is okay if I wash it off straight away? I can't use anything that exfoliates or astringent products. I don't mind the price range. Does anyone have experience of this?

Also mods, are there any expert skin chats coming up?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Randomgirl:wave:,

I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem when removing your make up, it may be worth going into a skincare shop and asking their advice as they will often have trained beauticians on hand to give advice on the best option for you.

I am unsure if there any expert skin chat coming up in the near future but I will ask and if so will let you know of the date and times.

Please let us know how you are getting on.:thumb:

Take Care,
    B.
  • Options
    Ok, what I would suggest is that you think about using some camouflage make up (you can get your GP to refer you to a camouflague make up service and you can get certain brands on prescription), and use the special remover for that brand. Alternatively, try Cetaphil cleanser. It might be also worth while thinking about using a power foundation instead, all kinds of brands are good, but I know a good few people swear by mineral make up.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I don't mind the price range. Does anyone have experience of this?

Have you heard of Green People? You could check out some of there products and I think you can contact them too - here's a cleanser that I've not used, but adore their moisturiser.

Randomgirl wrote: »
    Also mods, are there any expert skin chats coming up?

None in the pipeline, but deffo a good one to bear in mind - thanks for the suggestions :)
  • Options
    For makeup maybe try Bare minerals?
  • Options
    It's not quite the same thing, but I've had eczema on my face this pregnancy, and I really struggled finding products that didn't sting on damaged skin, even ones apparently made especially for that.

The thing I found that works well for me is the cream cleanser from the Body Shop's Aloe range. It takes off all my makeup, even the waterproof mascara, and doesn't dry out any scabby bits! I wipe it off with a wet flannel rather than just wiping with cotton wool, so there's no product left to irritate my skin more.

I wouldn't buy it full price, there are always 40% off codes lurking about the internet, but I wouldn't be without it now!

Also mineral powder foundations are really gentle, but I found they clog and flake on damaged skin, so see if you can test them before buying a whole pot!
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses.

Apparently the skin will go flaky and dry soon.

I couldn't put make up on yesterday (except mascara) as my face was just too painful.

I'll look into those products you have all suggested.

:)
  • Options
    Hi RandomGirl :wave:,

How is everything going for you ? I have asked if there are any upcoming chats on expert skin care, unfortunately nothing has been arranged as such but it is always great to know what people using The Site would find most benificial and will be noted to maybe arrange for the future.

Please continue to post on the site and let us know how you are getting on.:thumb:

Take Care,
    B:).
  • Options
    I just thought I'd update this thread.

My skin got really painfully dry after a week using the epiduo so my GP prescribed me a massive tub of aqueous cream to moisturise with. It say on it that it can be used as a cleanser so I have been putting on a thick layer and washing it off with a damp flannel with tepid water and then washing my face with soap ready for the epiduo gel (as I have to wash with soap first apparently). This seems to be working okay.

I'm still using oil-free eye make up remover on my eyes though to get the mascara etc off.

Thank you for all your help everyone.
This discussion has been closed.