Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Camping Ideas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

I'm going camping next weekend with the new lady (strange, but I thought it would be a good date idea). I was hoping some of you would have ideas/experiences you could share of either a) what to do or b) things to take. The only thing I can think of is an airbed! I want it to be enjoyable/romantic but not too much like glamping (did I really just say that word?!)

PS. I didn't put this is relationships because I'm not looking for that kind of advice.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    Depending on where you're going, and how comfortable you want to be - I'd seriously consider taking a couple of pillows. Obviously if you go proper lightweight camping then you wouldn't take pillows, but for comfort factor they make a world of difference. Especially if you're not used to using rolled up jumpers instead.

If you're going down the airbed line, then don't forget some kind of pump - double ones take a lifetime to inflate however you do it, and if you try and use gob power that will be all of your energy for the night consumed in one fell swoop.

Blow up the airbed at home and leave it up overnight, check it doesn't leak. Airbeds are great for comfort, but they are definitely an all or nothing with zero comfort or warmth if they go flat.

Think about taking chairs, or something similar to sit on. Makes the whole thing much more civilised. Similarly an umbrella - good for shade or rain protection.

Take a torch - and make sure you put it somewhere you can find in the night.

Always put the zips on the tent inner back to a corner where you'll easily be able to find them in the dark.

If you're a light sleeper/can't sleep in daylight think about taking an eye mask. Tents let in a lot of light, so you can expect daylight inside from dawn onwards.
  • Options
    Little camping stove and the nice ready meals in packet things (black and white packaging?)

Plenty of things to keep warm

First aid kit and sun cream

Plenty to drink and snacks

I used to have a bag ready packed so I could just go off in a moments notice so it didn't have much asides the above and something to read/do if it rains
  • Options
    A phone, will loads of backup charged batteries.
  • Options
    Scary Monster raised a few good points! Miss_Riot also made me realise that I don't even know what I should take to cook. What is easy (but still a little more romantic than beans) to cook on an outdoor stove?
  • Options
    These

They keep out of the fridge, not heavy packaging and really scrummy!
  • Options
    Thin frying steak, bag of salad, ciabatta, dressing.

Quick fry the steak and serve with the above. Top tip, make sure that the rest is ready before you start cooking the steak.

Bacon sandwiches for breakfast.
  • Options
    There are sleeping bag pairs you can zip together to have one big sleeping bag.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    There are sleeping bag pairs you can zip together to have one big sleeping bag.

That sounds like a good idea StrubbleS!

I love steak so that's definitely an option, but those boil in the bag dishes look amazing! Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming! Any other items I would need?

So far I have:

Tent
    Airbed
    Pillows
    Torch
    Camping stove
    Cutlery/plates
  • Options
    Matches/Lighter
    Flip flops for the showers
    Seats