Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Girls can play rugby

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi

I have always wanted to get back into rugby, I used to play full contact rugby back in primary school. Then I got to high school and got told girls don't play. My uni has a rugby club but if I join I'm kinda worried I'll be so horrendously out of practise. Should I just go for it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Just go for it, im not super mega good, but where I work in the south west I occasionally go down and train with the third team. Its a good laugh.
  • Options
    Cool, cheers for that :D
  • Options
    I mean I know I'm a guy, but I guess the same thing still applies to you, there might be a lot of casual people who turn up for second team games or the sorts. You never know until you ask :)
  • Options
    Can't tell you're a guy on here but hey it sounds cool. I might give it a try if it doesn't turn out to be expensive :P
  • Options
    Because there are very few schools with womens rugby you'll find that in general the uni clubs expect to be dealing with beginners, so being out of practise won't be a problem.
  • Options
    Hi

I have always wanted to get back into rugby, I used to play full contact rugby back in primary school. Then I got to high school and got told girls don't play. My uni has a rugby club but if I join I'm kinda worried I'll be so horrendously out of practise. Should I just go for it?

AHHH. OK I'm going to try and not sound too weird. DO IT.

I used to play rugby in sixth form and then for my town, and I didn't carry it on at uni. It is one of my biggest regrets! I've already looked up a team, and got in contact with them for when I move in September, so maybe you should do the same. Your uni is probably finishing for the summer now anyways, so if you did join I imagine it would be in September where a load of freshers would also join - so lots of beginners so you really shouldn't have anything to worry about.

:)
  • Options
    Cheers for the advice :D
  • Options
    Okay people say rugby,football, etc are a boys sport where as games like Badminton are classed as girls sport. It's only like people say brick laying is a mans job but hey! There are girl brick layers around and there are girl football players around. I'm a badminton player and I always get told by guys that it's a girls sport and that I'm such a girl this, that and the other but I carry on playing it. Do NOT let these type of things stop you! You want to play rugby? GO FOR IT! You want to be a brick layer? GO FOR IT! You want to be a tomboy? GO FOR IT! I can give another example... People say that older people shouldn't go clubbing because it's a young peoples thing. To be honest... some people have missed out on there youth or STILL feel young so they're more than likely going to go clubbing! :3 Get me? I see where you're coming from with Rugby though people like to class it as a guys game. it's a unisex game so you should go for it. And god bless you hope you enjoy the game. :3
  • Options
    It is sad to see that sexism still goes in secondary school sports.. it was like that at my school. In year 7-9 boys got to do all kind of exciting PE like rugby, American football (yes American football), baseball.. PE for girls was basically nothing more a timetable filler.

Nowt wrong with "older" people going clubbing either.
  • Options
    Threxy wrote: »
    It is sad to see that sexism still goes in secondary school sports.. it was like that at my school. In year 7-9 boys got to do all kind of exciting PE like rugby, American football (yes American football), baseball.. PE for girls was basically nothing more a timetable filler.
    True that.
    Threxy wrote: »
    Nowt wrong with "older" people going clubbing either.
    My mum always says she's too old for clubbing but yet again I've seen her at a party dancing and raving and she was only 40 at the time. lol I tell her that if she wants to be a teen again then she can.
  • Options
    True that. My mum goes drinking with friends more often than I do!
  • Options
    Rugby Newbie in need of help

I am not my best weight right now and I want to join the rugby team to lose weight. I want to know if it helps and do you have to be a certain height. I am really short...