Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Repairing woollies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have about 5 jumpers which have been attacked by moths! I haven't the foggiest about how I repair them, and one of which needs to be dyed another colour. Should I do that first?

So repairing techniques and wool dye suggestions please!

Also does freezing woollies that have been moth attacked actually kill off the larvae?

Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    If it's definitely wool (or another animal fibre), you can dye it with food colouring or kool aid. It's permanent and washable and much cheaper than actual wool dye.

This won't work on synthetics or blends, though!
  • Options
    It's a hand-me -down cashmere jumper currently in a horrible shade of grayish brown. Could I dye it most colours? Would I be ok mixing up a colour or would I need to buy the colour I wanted?
  • Options
    It's like dying hair with a semi permanent dye. You can't go lighter, the dye will just layer over whatever colour is already there. You might be best with dark colours.

You can mix colours, test it out on a bit of kitchen roll to get an idea what you'll end up with!

Tutorial for yarn, but same idea applies:
    http://mamafactured.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/tutorial-dyeing-yarn-with-kool-aid.html
  • Options
    what about the repair jobs? How do i fix moth holes?
  • Options
    Not sure, tbh. Maybe darning? Or you could sew on some artistically placed patches?
  • Options
    But do I need to get tiny ammounts of matching wool? I could put a patch on one but not my gray wool military cardi jacket.