Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Heartburn and Barrett's Oesophagus.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For around 3 years now I have suffered with what i would personally characterise as chronic heartburn. Occurring every day for short periods of time and sometimes long periods at night. Sleeping on my left hand side used to stop it but not any more.

I went to my Dr and she gave me omeprazole which stopped it. I was hoping she would send me for an endoscopy to check nothing more sinister was going on but she never did.
It's since come back, making my life a misery at times.

I'm going to make an appointment on monday to see her again and this time request further investigation into it.

However I am pretty worried that this condition may have set in over the 3 years. Nowhere tells you how long it takes to develop it just says "long standing" or "long term" with no frame of reference as to what long term is!

Until then does anyone on here have any info?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Mylo_B :wave:

Sorry things are rough for you at the minute.

I dont know too much about Barrett's Oesophagus, but looking at some information online. Below includes a bit of information on what it is.
    What causes Barrett's oesophagus and how common is it?
    The cause in most cases is thought to be due to long-term reflux of acid into the oesophagus from the stomach. The acid irritates the lining of the lower oesophagus and causes inflammation (oesophagitis). With persistent reflux, eventually the epithelial (lining) cells change to those described above.

It is thought that about 1 in 20 people who have recurring acid reflux eventually develops Barrett's oesophagus. The risk is mainly in people who have had severe acid reflux for many years. However, some people who have had fairly mild symptoms of reflux for years can develop Barrett's oesophagus.

Barrett's oesophagus seems to be more common in men than women. It typically affects people between the ages of 50 and 70 years. Other risk factors for Barrett's oesophagus that have been suggested include smoking and being overweight (particularly if you carry excess weight around your middle).

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Barrett's-Oesophagus.htm

As quoted above the information was found from a reputable website, but sometimes looking online with symptons can cause unecessary worry and stress, so the best advice is to speak to your doctor and be more firm if you feel they are ignoring any signs or symptons.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

B

*hug*