Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stick or no stick

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suffer from a lot of joint and muscular pain, which hasn't yet been diagnosed properly (I'm in the referral stage), but it's possibly fibromyalgia. My balance is also not great as well, partly due to the meds I take for the pain and dyspraxia.

A few weeks ago I went into town with a friend and I borrowed my mum's stick and it did help, I also felt people gave me a little more space as well. But my dr hasn't said yes or no to a stick, and my ma seems to think that is just going to reinforce ideas of me being a "sick" person and it's going to demoralise me.

I'm not planning on using it everyday, and I might look at a folding one so I can pack it away if I don't feel I need it but I can still carry it around.

I do feel a bit stupid being 22 and considering the possibility of using a stick, but if it gives me a bit more independence surely that's a good thing?
Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    My friend with fibre uses a stick sometimes. If it helps then give it a go.
  • Options
    It's a fine line to balance. If the stick works as a kind of mental aid and gives you the confidence to get out and about more then it's a good thing. If you're likely to become dependant on it, and turn it into part of your identity and let it define you then definitely not.
  • Options
    if it helped, id probably use one
  • Options
    I think it could be a difficult balance...and I'm not sure once I become dependent on it I'm going to be able to stop using it.

What I have found is that there is a huge gap in the market for funky sticks!

I might wait til I get a physio referal and talk to them about it, unless I decide otherwise before hand...
  • Options
    how much did it help?
  • Options
    When I borrowed my ma's stick? Enough that I didn't have to hold on to my friend's arm the entire time we were in town...which is a reasonable amount.

I have just had the realisation that if I have a stick I am going to be seen by everyone as disabled. I'm not keen on that, purely because people are going to think that I am not capable, and when I don't use the stick they'll think I'm a fraud.