Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I Made Bread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I will let the video speak for itself here... Touch too much yeast I think. :lol:

Comments

• Options
    that's extreme sandwich making isn't it?! lol
  • Options
    Not enough oil or water I would say...possibly overkneeded? that's very hard to do with bread though.

I tend to use a bread maker we got off freecycle and asides the blade getting stuck in the loaf and it being a pain to get out of the pan it's a pretty perfect loaf.

How many times did you prove it?
  • Options
    Apparently I was only supposed to prove it once with that kind of flour, it is the only time that has ever happened! I am usually make good stuff, but that was so hard I just had to make that video :3 muhuhhaahahahaha
  • Options
    Usually it's the type of yeast that defines the number of times it needs to be proved. What type of flour did you use ?

Looking at your loaf it hasn't got enough air so....

Not enough yeast or

Proving space not warm enough or not proved long enough or

Wrong type of flour (if you use ordinary self-raising/plain flour it doesn't have enough gluten to support it'self and so collapses) or

Nothing to feed the yeast. Did you put some oil or sugar in the dough ? If not the yeast will use the gluten leading to the above problem.
  • Options
    It was the yeast! Funny thing is I bought it in sachets from the supermarket but the pack they come in (I got another pack with 6 sachets today) says on it in bold black Only prove this yeast once oh course I didn't know that little detail!

That was the first time I ever used dried yeast instead of live yeast to do bread and the first time I ended up with it looking like Wilma Flintstone had helped me make it.

I did some today and it didn't need a saw, which is a great improvement... I guess it was worth messing it up that one time just to see my dad crying with laughter in Costa when I showed him the video :D
  • Options
    Ah, so did you knock it back ?
  • Options
    Yup, then proved it again and that's when it went south! I shall perfect it soon in time for mothers day!