Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Healthy snack food..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, can anyone recommend any healthy snack foods which are savory,

I was thinking nuts, (no, not rubberskins before you ask) but apparently they're very bad for you, the same with those roasted vegetable crisp things or roasted broad beans.

I'm looking for something savory, nutty/crispy etc,

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Nuts are generally healthy, there's nothing wrong with a sensible amount of saturated fat. Unfortunately though more than a small handful contains loads of calories, which is a shame as I can eat as many nuts as are sitting in front of me.

What about wholegrain rice cakes or beef jerky?
  • Options
    I was looking at rice cakes and I like them, but I do need flavoured ones, I cannot stand them plain,

I was eating snack a jacks but their not great either again if I sat with a whole bowl of nuts, like you I would eat them all.
  • Options
    rice cakes arent particularly great as theyre basically just carbs with no nutrition, but they are fairly low cal i guess. A ryvita would be better, or a slice of wholemeal toast with no butter, or maybe a little low fat spread.

Are you trying to lose weight, or just find healthier alternatives to what you eat now? What sort of things do you snack on at the moment?
  • Options
    as long as they're not salted or roasted nuts are ok, but energy dense.

It depends on what you need your snack to do.

Cherry tomatoes and baby corn are nice nibbly snacks - but you can't just shove them in your pocket - but you can often get away with a "fun sized" or "kids" apple (but they're fiddly to eat if you're fussy about leaving the core) - a carrot is good, butmany people are too fussy about wanting to peel it

M & S do some very crunchy and flavourful snack bags of "apple clusters", and they also do some nice 100 kCal rich dark chocolate bars.

I'm particularly fond of the Sainsbury's be good to yourself rice cakes - they're whole grain and have no added salt - I don't mind them plain but If I fancy some flavour I squirt a little double concentrate tomato puree on them - or I load them with cottage cheese, or quark
  • Options
    I've been snacking on Ryvita with oats and pumpkin seeds, I usually hate the taste and texture of Ryvita, but these are really nice.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    a carrot is good, butmany people are too fussy about wanting to peel it

you could not peel carrots. I wash the outside and just cut the top and bottom off :)
  • Options
    raw button mushrooms are a nice nibble
  • Options
    Try roasted chickpeas, they are crunchy like crisps but are not fried. 1/4 cup has under 100 cals and about 4 grams of protein and 5 of fiber.

I'm using http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/conversion_charts.htm to convert so sorry if it doesn't really equate...

A savory recipe:

about 400g chickpeans/garbanzo beans, dry. Cook them as the package says and make sure they are dry before continuing.

about 15ml olive oil
    30ml lemon juice

brown sugar
    cumin
    cinnamon
    black pepper all to taste - I can't find spice conversions for teaspoons but if you can, I use about a teaspoon of cinnamon and brown sugar, a tablespoon of cumin... I looove cumin and a dash or two of pepper)

Mix all together then bake at 190 for about 35-40 minutes or until crunchy

A sweeter version...

15ml maple syrup
    15ml apple cider vinegar
    pumpkin pie spice to taste, I use about 3 tablespoons (or a mixture of cinnamon, cardamon, lemon peel, ginger and nutmeg)

Everything else is the same.
  • Options
    Naked bars FTW! Ginger bread, chocomint and the orange ones are all good. The others are pretty nice too!

I also eat a piece of co op dark chocolate (has to be the co op own brand stuff) and it really quells the chocolate craving. The other thing is chocolate covered brazil nuts, good hit of selenium if your feeling a bit down can be good.