Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hotel taken money before stay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Bit of advice please:

Booked hotel and it's a 2 for 1 offer, meaning I get 2 nights for the price of 1. There are a few issues here - I've been charged for 2 nights and they took the money a few days after I booked. I have never known a hotel to take the money before I've stayed there.

Are they meant to take the money before my stay?

Comments

• Options
    Some hotels take a first nights fee as a deposit, and if you are staying multiple nights then its something they will obviously keep if you dont turn up or cancel. For those kind of places it will obviously be the whole cost if you are only staying one night.

Though some places if you are getting a special offer rate, will take the money before you arrive. In your case Melian it could be an honest computer glitch or oversight that may well be easily sorted if you get in touch with them.
  • Options
    I guess this is in my area of expertise

Okay first off all, do you have a confirmation letter stating it is a 2 for 1 offer, detailing you only pay for one night, and how much you're paying for the one night (this is crucial to have as without it you're shafted)

Secondly, is it via the hotel directly or via an agent (laterooms/Hotelconnexions/bookings.com etc etc)

also, Is it an advance purchase rate, at times bookings can be made at cheaper prices but are advance purchases, basically it means you pay up front but have no recourse in case you are required to cancel

what type of hotel is it? higher class hotels, four or five star, generally don't take payment up front but just use C/C to secure the booking. smaller hotels can generally take the payment beforehand.

so yeah, it is perfectly feasible for the hotel to take prepayment, need a hand drop me a message :)
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I guess this is in my area of expertise

Okay first off all, do you have a confirmation letter stating it is a 2 for 1 offer, detailing you only pay for one night, and how much you're paying for the one night (this is crucial to have as without it you're shafted)

I have no letters. All I have is a membership card, which I need to use to log on to the website. The website is 241hotelclub and from there, you go on to the company website and book there.
    also, Is it an advance purchase rate, at times bookings can be made at cheaper prices but are advance purchases, basically it means you pay up front but have no recourse in case you are required to cancel

Don't think so; but can't find anything on their website.
    what type of hotel is it? higher class hotels, four or five star, generally don't take payment up front but just use C/C to secure the booking. smaller hotels can generally take the payment beforehand.

It's Holiday Inn; so nothing special.
    so yeah, it is perfectly feasible for the hotel to take prepayment, need a hand drop me a message :)

Thank you. :) From previous experience, I've found they take a deposit and the rest of the money when you either check in or check out.
  • Options
    So you don't have any emails or anything outlining your booking, have you got a holiday inn booking number or anything except this member ship card,

The website you booked with is classed as a booking agent, it is very feasible for them to take payment up front.
  • Options
    However the fact remain if they took payment for two nights they've made a mistake, was payment proceed by holiday inn or by 241hotelclub?
  • Options
    They have responded:
    Please allow me to explain, the 2 for 1 offer is based on the Best Flex Rate and consists of two consecutive night stays for the price of one, based on two adults sharing a standard twin/double room (max.2 adults per room) at participating hotels only. Therefore the 1st night is £133 and the second night is the free night. This is reflected on the website as an average nightly rate of £66.50 which can be worked out by dividing the total cost (£133) by the number of nights (2). I apologise if there was any confusion with this but I can assure you the total cost payable is clearly displayed before entering any personal information or credit card details.

I am sure (I can't find it now) it said £66.50 per night. Hence the confusion.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    They have responded:

I am sure (I can't find it now) it said £66.50 per night. Hence the confusion.

Possibly £66.50 per person per night? So you are in a twin/double room so they could make that £133 for the room for a night plus your free night?
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Very cunning of them to display the prices on their website that way... Who was the response from?
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »
    Very cunning of them to display the prices on their website that way... Who was the response from?

EMEA Guest Relations, Birmingham.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Is that the hotel or 2for1 company?