Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

STI Test - very nervous!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I slept with a man about 2 months ago unprotected (we were seeing each other so was not a one night stand). I'm on the pill so didn't need to worry about pregnancy. I have been worrying about STI's recently because my sister had one after no symptoms whatsoever. I thought it would be good if I had a screening too.

Tomorrow I have an STI test booked. It's for a full screen so everything will be tested.

I am absolutely petrified. I'm so so scared it's unbelievable. I don't mind the whole uncomfortableness and needles etc, it's the embarassment of getting my bits out. :nervous: I'm so afraid that they'll laugh or I'll cry or something.

I know I need the full screening and I know it's better to have a few moments of embarassment then to find that I have an STI and did nothing about it, but I'm freaking out right now and want to cry.

Does anyone know what happens at these tests? Any experience? Thanks.

To add - I'm female so will I have to have swabs taken? Or just urine and bloods?

Comments

• Options
    Are you going for a 'full' check up ? I would recommend you do.

Blood and probably wee and a quick swab. Nothing painful, maybe just uncomfortable. The VAST majority of STIs are curable so best to go for a full check up.

They will test for HIV but not tell you if you dont want to know, but i've never understood that part, unless it's changed recently. Surely is better to know so you KNOW you need to take (extra) precautions, tell sexual partners etc and you can be monitored for when you need to start medication.

Should you have something, they will give you the drugs there and for free (hurrah for prostitution :) ) Stock up on some condoms and lube while you're there, they're free too.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Are you going for a 'full' check up ? I would recommend you do.

Blood and probably wee and a quick swab. Nothing painful, maybe just uncomfortable. The VAST majority of STIs are curable so best to go for a full check up.

They will test for HIV but not tell you if you dont want to know, but i've never understood that part, unless it's changed recently. Surely is better to know so you KNOW you need to take (extra) precautions, tell sexual partners etc and you can be monitored for when you need to start medication.

Should you have something, they will give you the drugs there and for free (hurrah for prostitution :) ) Stock up on some condoms and lube while you're there, they're free too.

Yes I'm having a full screening. I was originally just going to have the bloods done as I've done a home self testing kit for Chylamydia which I have sent off to be tested. However, I thought I'd just get everything done to be on the safe side, else I'll be worrying no end.
  • Options
    They will do this stuff all the time so no need to be embarrassed.
  • Options
    *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hey there scared123

Firstly, a massive 'WELL DONE' is in order for taking your sexual health seriously and booking a test. It's the sensible thing to do and hopefully the result will help reassure you.

It's ridiculously common to be beyond-petrified though. I doubt anyone goes for an STI test without being the littliest-bit scared. Is anyone going with you? Just take deep calm breaths throughout the day and remember it's a really good thing that you're getting this done.

Your questions are very common, and we've got some videos on TheSite.org which should hopefully answer them all. I'll link to them here...
    FAQ: Visiting a GUM clinic
    A trip to the clinic

As for being worried about showing the doctors' your private bits, again, this is a very normal concern. But it's worth remembering this is an STI clinic - the doctors and nurses literally look at penises and vaginas all day every day. There is nothing you have down there that can shock them - they really would have seen it all. It's always worth telling them you're nervous, that way they can ensure you feel as comfortable as possible. Also, as you're a girl, a helpful tip is to wear a skirt to the appointment. This is easier than shimmying in and out of jeans - also you can keep the skirt on while they test you which helps you feel more covered. Nice panties help too :)

The best of luck - hope the videos are helpful - and if you're still freaking out, feel free to vent here as much as you like. Although, I'm guessing, tomorrow evening your post will read "you know, it really wasn't that bad at all!"

*hug*

Holly
  • Options
    I used to be terrified of STI testing, but now I've done it a few times it's okie dokie. It's definitely the smartest thing to do, so well done you. :)