Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm a pleasant break? Eh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I've been talking to this guy I met whilst out on Facebook and we'd be talking for hours at a time. Anyway i noticed that he'd been posting on fb but wasn't online and panicked it was me. So sent him a message about something to find out

He replied Haha, I'm not online-online because I'm trying to avoid distraction, but don't worry! You're not a distraction, your a pleasant break!

Don't worry about that, your not the person I don't like talking to at the moment. But it's a long story.

Honest reply?

Comments

• Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    i would be careful with how things are going...it sounds like he enjoys chatting to you and could possibly be interested but messaging him asking why hes not online but is still posting things on FB could seem a little bit over the top...play it cool! :)
  • Options
    You know people can be online but not be signed into msn/fb chat etc.
  • Options
    I know i know how it sounds :( but i just panicked as id been speaking with him only a week and just thought its because of me i think anyone would think the same:eek:
  • Options
    id take that at face value and a decent honest answer
  • Options
    Thats a good sign so it means he likes you as he said that
    your a pleasant break so he welcomes talking to you. xxx
  • Options
    angelk01 wrote: »
    Thats a good sign so it means he likes you as he said that
    your a pleasant break so he welcomes talking to you. xxx

well when we do talk its for a while and im sure if he didnt want to talk he'd ignore me as guys are forward like that. And he went offline for a couple of hours the one night and popped up appologising for going offline which was nice of him.

Do u think its good enough to maybe see if he fancies doing something?
  • Options
    jacobs_gal wrote: »

Do u think its good enough to maybe see if he fancies doing something?

certainly.

Even if we thought it might maybe not good enough, you should still do it. Why believing something when you can easily make sure?
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    certainly.

Even if we thought it might maybe not good enough, you should still do it. Why believing something when you can easily make sure?

so is that u are not completely convinced or maybe just give it a shot.... he seems to ask me alot of questions and is always appologising for stuff if i say something and im unsure of it hell say aww dont worry about that lol and i do think its quite sweet
  • Options
    so is that u are not completely convinced or maybe just give it a shot.... he seems to ask me alot of questions and is always appologising for stuff if i say something and im unsure of it hell say aww dont worry about that lol and i do think its quite sweet

do it, I am convinced, but independently of what I think, you should do it regardless.
  • Options
    what are u certain of though lol
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

StrubbleS is certain that you should ask him if he fancies doing something - you have nothing to lose! :)
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    StrubbleS is certain that you should ask him if he fancies doing something - you have nothing to lose! :)

thing is he does seem to like talking to me asking me questions etc but he very rarely initates conversation.....
  • Options
    Perhaps you should stop reading into things when the only way you will know, is if you ask.
  • Options

I thought you asked a pretty clear question and I gave a pretty clear answer.

You asked "Do u think its good enough to maybe see if he fancies doing something?"

And I said, "certainly (it is)."

Why would you rather ponder, if him not initiating conversations is grounds for not asking him out? Do you think this gives you an definite answer if he actually wanna do something?
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I thought you asked a pretty clear question and I gave a pretty clear answer.

You asked "Do u think its good enough to maybe see if he fancies doing something?"

And I said, "certainly (it is)."

Why would you rather ponder, if him not initiating conversations is grounds for not asking him out? Do you think this gives you an definite answer if he actually wanna do something?

i dont know what to do tbh as i was worried when he went offline but he said it wasnt me and that he just didnt want to be distracted by facebook and that i was pleasant ot talk to yet i still worry maybe its me

when weve been talking if he goes offline he pops up later saying hi and he did wish me merry xmas but i dont know what to do
  • Options
    i dont know what to do tbh as i was worried when he went offline but he said it wasnt me and that he just didnt want to be distracted by facebook and that i was pleasant ot talk to yet i still worry maybe its me

God you are hopeless. He gave you a perfectly good explanation why he went offline. Overthinking this does not answer your question whether he was telling the truth or not and the best part comes now: It doesn't fucking matter. You will find out if he tries to ignore you when you are asking him out! If he wants to meet you and enjoys your company on the meet/date, then you are INDEED a pleasant break from his work.
    when weve been talking if he goes offline he pops up later saying hi and he did wish me merry xmas but i dont know what to do

I can't even make sense of that. "He did wish me merry xmas but I don't know what to do." how are these two things related? Just ask him out? Why is that so difficult? What are you afraid of?

Stop reading malicious intent towards you specifically when he goes offline in facebook. Some people want to relax sometime and just not be available. Stop being so obsessive and think the whole world is out to get you and do what you want to do: Asking him out. And don't give me a "i dont kno what to do" because you've been advised 10 times now and you DO know what you want. Going out with him. So why are you making this so hard for yourself?
  • Options
    What Strubbs said. And get off facebook. It turns people into obsessive stalkers... 'oh my god he was online and now he's not, that must mean he saw me online and is avoiding me... oh yay he poked me but then didnt reply when i wrote on his wall so maybe he hates me' etc etc.

You wont know for sure what he is thinking unless you ask him! Theres no point trying to guess because a) you'll wind yourself up and b) probably be wrong.

I know how scary it is to ask someone out but at least you'll get your answer and can stop obsessing
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    What Strubbs said. And get off facebook. It turns people into obsessive stalkers... 'oh my god he was online and now he's not, that must mean he saw me online and is avoiding me... oh yay he poked me but then didnt reply when i wrote on his wall so maybe he hates me' etc etc.

You wont know for sure what he is thinking unless you ask him! Theres no point trying to guess because a) you'll wind yourself up and b) probably be wrong.

I know how scary it is to ask someone out but at least you'll get your answer and can stop obsessing

well i do want to ask him out but want to do it casually rather than just messaging him saying hi let go out....

i do worry he is offline now to avoid me but he did say hes doing it so he isnt distracted but im to not worry it isnt me im a pleasant break.... and im sure if he didnt want to talk he wouldnt
  • Options
    Exactly.

Ask him for a drink, go to the cinema etc, something casual and see how it goes. If he accepts, thats already a good sign, then use whatever you do together as a way to see if you match, get on well, have lots to talk about etc. You might just have that one 'date' then you or him might decide not to take it any further but you wont know until you do it
  • Options
    Exactly.

Ask him for a drink, go to the cinema etc, something casual and see how it goes. If he accepts, thats already a good sign, then use whatever you do together as a way to see if you match, get on well, have lots to talk about etc. You might just have that one 'date' then you or him might decide not to take it any further but you wont know until you do it

thing is i got to wait for him to come online again... he came on a bit last friday but appears to have turned his chat off again hence why it makes me paranoid its me :(
  • Options
    Just ask him the question with a message and then wait for his answer, do you have to do it on chat? Also stop obsessing over facebook.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Just ask him the question with a message and then wait for his answer, do you have to do it on chat? Also stop obsessing over facebook.

thing is i do panic and i should stop but id rather do it in passing rather than just messaging him hey u wanna go out...

seriously though if he says it isnt me do i take that as a general answer?
  • Options
    Or you could ask him if he is telling the truth about it and risk him thinking your are a bit weird.

If you do it in passing (ie asking him) does that not give him the chance to avoid the question, just ask him straight and then he can give you a straight answer.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Or you could ask him if he is telling the truth about it and risk him thinking your are a bit weird.

If you do it in passing (ie asking him) does that not give him the chance to avoid the question, just ask him straight and then he can give you a straight answer.

Yeah that would be weird just getting paranoid he's avoiding me
  • Options
    Ask him out or dont ask him out, its up to you now.
  • Options
    Yea im starting to lose interest in this
  • Options
    Yea im starting to lose interest in this

Well he messaged me yesterday so all good...
  • Options

So whats the plan? Carry on messaging him on facebook forever and ever and ever?
  • Options

So, now is the time to reply with a message saying "Say, we're getting along well on here, fancy meeting up for a drink / chat / whatever?".