Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Blind (ish) Date"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right so after years of wasting my time on the wrong people I've decided I just need to get out there a little bit more (socially and in dating terms) and i'm taking my first step next week.

I'm meeting up with a girl i started talking to online years ago but never got round to meeting. We have chatted online and by text on and off for a long time but never met. We are meeting half way between where we live and going to a football match together (she likes football, that's a good sign!)

I am making a conscious effort not to worry about it, it's just two people meeting up and we will see how it goes. Will be slightly weird that we kind of know a lot about each other but yet we are almost complete strangers at the same time.....

I am kind of anxious and shy with people i don't know, and whilst she knows this, I'd just like some tips as to how i calm the hell down enough so i can relax and "be myself" on the day...even if it doesn't lead to anything I'd just like to come out of it without regrets if you know what i mean?

Comments

• Options
    deep breaths if you get nervous and try and act calm! She's probably just as nervous as you!

Do you both support the same team? Good luck :D
  • Options
    deep breaths if you get nervous and try and act calm! She's probably just as nervous as you!

Do you both support the same team? Good luck :D

From talking to her I think she is more nervous than I am!

Thanks! :-)
  • Options
    You'll be fine then! :)
  • Options
    Hi there Neddy,

We were talking about this issue, how to be yourself on a 'date', on the askTheSite live podcast with Matt Whyman the other day! Might be worth having a listen here - from 3 mins 57.

Going to a football match will make it easier as well, as it is something outside of the two of you to focus on, watch and talk about. Its also good you are able to talk about how you feel about the meet up with her - saying 'I'm actually a bit nervous about this!' might help break the ice a bit :)

Accept that you will probably feel a bit nervous at first, take deep breaths as purpledhaze says and remind yourself that the nervousness will probably pass as the date goes on.

And as you say, if it doesn't seem to be going well romantically, it will be great to have finally met this person - and hopefully she will stay a good friend!

Best of luck!