Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Power/Status

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This in an interesting study into abuses of power by those with authority. Apparently, the greatest number of abuses occur when someone has a certain amount of power, but in a role that is relatively low status, whereas people with a high status job were less likely to abuse the power that they had. So there may be something in the traffic warden/little Hitler stereotype.

Does it ring true with you?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Interesting. It would ring true with me, at least to an extent. People with a lot of status (and, usually, an income stream to match) have more to lose through corruption than people with a lesser status. Therefore people with power but little status will be more open to corruption or bullying because the consequences of being caught are lesser. You see this all the time with police officers- they will pick on people because they can and because there are few consequences to being caught.
    There is some truth in it, but the infamous Stamford Prison Experiment seemed to show how any one given power over others is corrupted.

Brewers 'Inside the RUC' which is a sociological study of the RUC in the late 80's/early 90's felt that those police who did abuse their position were the ones who were least succesful in accepting and buying into the organisational ethos - they were outsiders within the police.

The army (and I presume the police and prison service) spend a lot of time incalculating their values and creating a disciplined organisation, where your individual desires and wants are subordinated to the disciplined wants) of the group (ie you want to give that cunt a kicking, the army wants you to abide by the Geneva convention.) It's also not really how outsiders view the status that matters, frankly my Micks couldn't have given a fuck how some long haired peacenik hippies viewed them , but about how their peers did; being a man amongst men was important and having the respect of those with whom you served.
    Could be true. I have some power in my role, however I like to think my status in the local community is quite high. I'm well thought of apparently according to people who I meet, through my reputation of being firm, fair and consistent in how I do my job. It's taken me 8 years to get to this point, and I'm not jeopardising it for the sake of getting one over someone.
    Hi...
    I have just joined the forum... New out here.. Can someone tell me that what is this forum all about and your experience about the power or status...?
    Thanks!!
    seo