Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

i walked out of my job am i entitled to my holiday pay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi i have been working in a hotel for 11 months in this time i have never been allowed to have a full weeks holiday and even lost holiday last year. the pressure I have been put under as finally taken its toll and I walked out on Friday night. can anyone tell me if am entitled to be payed for the hours that I walked and any holiday pay I have accrued since April this year i have not been allowed to take any holidays please help .


  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends on the type of contract you had. However, the general rule is that you are entitled to four weeks leave per year, but how that is taken must be agreed with your employer. You do not have the right to take a week off at a time, or at any time.

    If you walked out, then you forfit your right to notice pay and have breached your contract. You'll find it hard to get any holiday pay now.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi jgblackpool and welcome to TheSite :wave:

    Sorry to hear that your lack of holiday and support at work concerning this has forced you to quit your job.

    As Slartibartfast said it might be worth looking at the contract you signed when you first started the job and see what it says about holiday. Although all employees are entitled to annual leave the employer can control when you take this, so they can stop you from taking whole weeks at a time. However, if you did not get to take any holiday at all or lost some of your holiday allowance that was specified in the contract then I can completely understand why you think this is not fair.

    You might find this fact sheet on direct.gov.uk and this article on TheSite.org helpful when trying to understand holiday entitlement.

    The best place to start in trying to resolve this would probably be to speak to your employer - your manager or someone in your HR department. If you don't feel this is possible now you have walked out then you could speak to the Citizen's Advice Bureau either online or you can find your local bureau by typing in your postcode on their homepage: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

    Alternatively you could submit this as a question to our askTheSite service where you will receive an answer from a professional in 3 working days.

    I hope this helps you to start working out your rights.
    Good luck and let us know how you get along :thumb:
Sign In or Register to comment.