Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is there something he isnt telling me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm moving away to University in just over a week. In the last few weeks my rock, my best friend and just about the only person who I trust has been acting strange. He has repeatedly told me he is going to miss me and that its not going to be the same, no matter how many times I tell him I will be home. He will begin to open up about what is really bothering him then he sort of freezes up and says it doesnt matter. Should I push this subject, or let him tell me in his own time? I would hate to think he feels like he cant talk to me. Its going to be hard to be so far away from my friends, but I cant imagine something like this ever coming between our friendship. Any advice would be much appreciated. x

Comments

• Options
    yeah, hes in love with you
  • Options

Have to agree.

As for what to do, just make sure he knows that he can talk to you. Outside of that it's up to him to speak up or not. Don't force him into it.
  • Options
    Hmm, I would like to say I could see that as true. But he is head over heels in love with my best friend, and they have been together for nearly three years. I wouldnt mind if he did turn round and say he is in fact in love with me, because I do love him, but I dont think its that strong to want to be with him.
    I wondered if perhaps he really is just going to miss me. We are really close as friends and meet up several times a week with others.
    Maybe I just drop the subject and let him figure out what he wants to say?
  • Options
    Love isn't just about wanting to have sex with you- friends can love too. Though until you said the last post my thought was also that he fancies you rotten.

It sounds like he's expecting you to go off to uni and meet loads of new and intelligent and exciting people and then completely forget all about him.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I wondered if perhaps he really is just going to miss me. We are really close as friends and meet up several times a week with others.
    Maybe I just drop the subject and let him figure out what he wants to say?

Yep. sounds like you've got some good awareness - in TheSite's article about 'Will I lose my mate' it says:
    They're moving away

If they're moving to another part of the country, or even overseas, it isn't the end of the world. You can still stay in touch by phone, email, letter and so on, no matter how far away you are from one another. Yes, you will probably miss those regular nights out, but that doesn't mean you can't meet up for weekends or holidays.

Who knows, maybe they'll end up somewhere interesting or exotic and it'll be an excellent excuse for a trip to see them. As a goodbye present, you could get them a phonecard or some stationery with stamps and your address already on them, to show that you want to stay friends. Even if they're out of contact for a while, they'll get back to you eventually if the friendship is still strong.

If you think he may be feeling like this, then you could drop in little hints that you're definitely willing to make the effort to stay in touch. Let us know if he does open up a bit more to you :)
  • Options

Totally this.