Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What's wrong with me?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I haven't been "right" for over a month now and I'm not sure why...

I have lost interest in things I was really passionate about (running, activism, trade unionism) and I am often avoiding people as well...

I don't like other humans anymore... I have friends on a one to one basis, but I think that I am growing resentful and misanthropic against people in general. I am starting to feel like human beings are self-interested and a cancer on the planet... I have never really been like this before, my belief in people was one of the only reasons I continued to live...

I feel empty. Some days I feel in pain because I am empty and the world is empty. I don't really see meaning in things anymore and whilst I know that I have to create my own meaning, I don't really see the point...

I can't tell if I'm having a philosophical crisis, or if I am getting ill with depression again. :rolleyes:

I am trying to read philosophical books and essays to sort my head out, but I am not sure if this route is escapist and I should just resign to the fact that there's no point to life?

I don't want to kill myself or anything... I have thought about it, but I don't think there'd be any point.

Comments

• Options
    Sometimes we can over analyse things, we all go through changes, peaks and troughs of motivation. If you've lost interest in the past times that usually give you pleasure it could be a good idea to look for something new that you enjoy, if that's studying and researching go with it just don't obsess.

If you do feel that it may be you are getting ill perhaps make an appointment to see someone?

dp :heart:
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I am trying to read philosophical books and essays to sort my head out, but I am not sure if this route is escapist and I should just resign to the fact that there's no point to life?

I think that the problem with philosophy and religion is that each is trying to find a 'reason' or 'meaning' to life when, as an evolutionist, I don't believe that there is any 'point'.

Most of us try and find a higher reason for our existence because we are the most advanced life form on Earth with sentience and reasoning - but, in fact, this is just a matter of evolutionary 'luck'. There is no 'reason'. We just are.

I therefore gain happiness by marvelling at how our little planet came to be here after the Big Bang - and the journey we, and other life forms, have taken to get us to here and now.

I am somewhat of a misanthrope myself. If I could press a button and all human life vanished painlessly off the Earth, I'd press it in a heartbeat. In the meantime, I do what I can to put the planet first.

I can't get enough of watching programs like Horizon, Wonders Of The Universe, animal programs etc. I just marvel in absolute wonder at how beautiful and diverse this planet is. For me, this is my 'spirituality'.
  • Options
    But the thing is... I don't really see any point in living.

I've lost whatever drive I have to do anything. I feel like a hollow vessel... I don't like people right now. I have no drive to do anything... I run sometimes, but apart from that, I just want to be alone. I've lost a lot of energy too...

I just don't care anymore, I feel dead inside... I probably should go to a doctor. :no:
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I just don't care anymore, I feel dead inside... I probably should go to a doctor. :no:

I think so, just to be on the safe side. This doesn't sound like you at your best. Take care.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I think so, just to be on the safe side. This doesn't sound like you at your best. Take care.

:yes: I agree. If you are feeling that low, there may well be an underlying issue.