Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Should I Get a Second Job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Though I'm finding it hard to find anything to be honest...

Basically, I live in London and my 'saving up' isn't going as well as I'd like. I'm 28 in a few months and I feel like life is passing me by. I'd really like to go back to university and also, to travel.

I don't drive, I don't smoke, I haven't been on holiday in seven years, I seldom buy new clothes, I don't really go out that often... It's just that I'm not on an impressive wage and I live in London!

I've thought about a second job, as I don't want to start traveling by the age of 31, or go back to studying in my 30s... I'll feel a bit too old and will worry that people will view me as too old to do these things... However, I don't know it it's ethical to take a second part time job given the recession and the fact that I work with unemployed people...

I'm actually not 100% sure as to what to do. I'm kinda fed up at the moment and things are moving sooooo slow.

Any advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've met many people who have two or even three jobs, though most of these so far were men who had families with growing children to provide for
    Wow i'd never even think about 'ethical' issues if i needed a second job. You if you need/want it, then find it i say. Yea ok there are people who are also looking ad if you get it then you might seem selfish but its down to being in the right place at the right time with the right job application.
    I don't see that it's unethical to have a second job, even when others are struggling to get a first one.
    I don't think that it would be unethical to get a second job but i would check your employment contract first to see if its allowed....
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Namaste,

Its definitely feels more expensive to live in London nowadays, so can see why you are finding it hard financially.

Firstly, have you thought about chatting to your current employer about it? Would there be the option to discuss a pay rise?

If you decide to take on a second job there are a couple of things to think about, and depending on the hours you do you may need to tell your current employer. Have a look at this fact sheet which is pretty good in explaining the basics.

Hope that helps,
    LauraO
    Namaste wrote: »
    Though I'm finding it hard to find anything to be honest...

Basically, I live in London and my 'saving up' isn't going as well as I'd like. I'm 28 in a few months and I feel like life is passing me by. I'd really like to go back to university and also, to travel.

I don't drive, I don't smoke, I haven't been on holiday in seven years, I seldom buy new clothes, I don't really go out that often... It's just that I'm not on an impressive wage and I live in London!

I've thought about a second job, as I don't want to start traveling by the age of 31, or go back to studying in my 30s... I'll feel a bit too old and will worry that people will view me as too old to do these things... However, I don't know it it's ethical to take a second part time job given the recession and the fact that I work with unemployed people...

I'm actually not 100% sure as to what to do. I'm kinda fed up at the moment and things are moving sooooo slow.

Any advice?

If you need more cash to do what you want to do and you've got spare time you want to use productively, a second job is the obvious answer - ethics shouldn't come into it, that's a wild abstraction. You could also look at living elsewhere, if you're fed up with your current situation then why continue letting your current situation drain you of so much money?