Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Noisy Neighbours

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yet again my selfish fucking neighbours are being loud.

If they're not drilling in the garden at 12:30am, their horrible children are shouting the place down, or playing computer games. It's often like they are in the room with me...

My neighbours don't/selectively speak English. We think there may be several of them living next door (my flatmate used to hear one man beating a woman up) and they all tend to pile in around 11pm every night.

I'm not sure how to approach them as I have before and the woman at least appears to speak no English.

Shall I just call the council? I am sick of their selfish twatty behaviour. In all honesty, I think tomorrow at 7am I will place my speakers by their wall and play Slipknot at them.

ETA: I've just ordered ear plugs online for the future, but am at my wits end... Work is so stressful and all I want is a nights sleep.


  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, call the council over the noise, call the police if there's domestic violence.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried going round at all? Or is the language barrier that bad?

    I always make an effort to speak to my neighbour first, although I'm bigger than him and his missus so maybe that's why they listen? Either that or they're just not complete douche bags.

    If that fails give the police a call first, often a visit from a cop is enough even though legally we haven't any power to stop the music. If that doesn't work, then ring the council.

    Also, is it a rented property? Excessive noise often puts people in breach of their tenancy agreement.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there Namaste,

    Noisy neighbours are a real problem - I have previously had noisy neighbours and I know how annoying it can be!

    If you're really unable to communicate with your neighbours then yes contact your local council's Environmental Health Department. You may like to read this page; http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/neighbourhood_issues/noise_nuisance which has more information about what they can do to help.

    They can be particularly useful in contacting your neighbours landlords, if the property is rented.

    Hope you get some peace and quiet soon!

Sign In or Register to comment.