Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Style with a difference

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(spoken to mods, putting it here just so as many as possible see if and then it'll be move to Style & Appearance in a few days)

I've been thinking about this for a while and I've finally decided to go a head and do it, even if it takes me a long time to finish!

With almost every style book I pick up, I have 2 problems with them:

1) They don't allow for anyone's personal style and how to cultivate it
2) They don't allow for style to fit into peoples lives, and work with illnesses and disabilities.

I've had dyspraxia all my life, it took me until I was 15 to be able to tie my shoe laces properly, and I spent up until my late teens in comfy clothes that I could get in and out of without getting myself tangled up. Over the years I've learnt ways of getting around it, but when my mental health got a lot worse I just stopped trying, because it felt like too much work.

I want, with help from people with a wide-range of illnesses and disabilities to work with me in creating a style guide for people of difference which really addresses self-expression through what we wear, and working with body shapes, and abilities not against them.

I'm looking for a group of essentially guinea pigs to try out some of my ideas, give me feedback, talk to me about what they find most challenging, and what they would like to be able to achieve in terms of style.

If you consider yourself disabled (physical/hidden/mental health issues/long term illness/sensory/learning difficulties) regardless of your abilities, if you feel you could help with the project, please contact me, either via PM or reply to this post. Any suggestions and feedback from anyone would be great too!

Thank you all!

Comments

• Options
    Can you do a bit for excessively tall people?
  • Options
    Can you do a bit for excessively tall people?

And short fat people?

But, yeah, I'd give it a shot if I can help. Interesting ways to wear long sleeves without looking frumpy would just make my life so much easier. By long, I mean bracelet length, none of this 3/4 crap.
  • Options
    i second the short fat people movement. Im tired of only really having one shop to choose in who only seem to cater for over 50s and also New Looks pathetic attempt at a nod to the larger woman whilst making sure we look hideous. *rant
  • Options
    i second the short fat people movement. Im tired of only really having one shop to choose in who only seem to cater for over 50s and also New Looks pathetic attempt at a nod to the larger woman whilst making sure we look hideous. *rant

The high street's idea of 'plus-size' is to make the same clothes bigger. The theory's fine but of course, most people who are size 18 are a different shape to size 10 and that's not considered.
  • Options
    there are some things that i like in new look etc that would be ok on me but they tend to stop at a 16 or if you are lucky an 18. anything else and you are shoved off to their inspire range which is generally hideous at best and seems to be designed for people who are tall and have no taste. Attitudes towards larger fashion generally suck. I think they try to make us look as gross as possible so that noone wants to procreate with us and we don't pass our Fat genes on.
  • Options
    I'm currently looking at what sections I need to look at. I'll putting pen to paper over the weekend and I'll let you guys know what I've come up with, but is there anything that you definatly think should be there or shouldn't?