Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Circumcision

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Should I be afraid of this, I am circumcised. But my friend tells me I was mutilated and because of that I will never have a good sex life, and I will never know what its like to really have sex, also that I am different and I am one of 10% of the world that is mutilated. Also that I have a higher sex drive, and more susceptible to aids...is this true, I am freaking out!!!

(also that I will never be able to find a guy/girl that will take me because no one likes someone circumcised!!!)

Comments

• Options
    In a sense I suppose it's a form of mutilation in that it's a change to your body that (assuming you were an infant at the time) you didn't consent to. As for the other stuff, none of that is objectively true; there are other arguments.

A friend of mine, who's a sexual health doctor, says that there is a risk of infection in the foreskin, because it's difficult to clean. There have even been studies done to see if circumcision reduces HIV infection between men (evidence suggests it might, the WHO approve circumcision in adults as a means to control HIV). It does not appear to affect other STIs.

10% sounds very low indeed, given the number of men I can think of who I know are circumcised just within my friendship group (yes, I know, they share these things, it's lovely) and given the specific religious practices. Wikipedia suggests it's actually 1/6 - 1/3.

Additionally, because of my boy-friends' tendency to overshare, I happen to know some of them prefer 'cut' guys and most don't care, so you're definitely not going to be single forever because of that!
  • Options
    What she said.
  • Options
    What she said.

Yeah, that.
  • Options
    Randoman wrote: »
    Should I be afraid of this, I am circumcised. But my friend tells me I was mutilated and because of that I will never have a good sex life, and I will never know what its like to really have sex, also that I am different and I am one of 10% of the world that is mutilated. Also that I have a higher sex drive, and more susceptible to aids...is this true, I am freaking out!!!

(also that I will never be able to find a guy/girl that will take me because no one likes someone circumcised!!!)

'Mutilation' is rather an emotive word, but it was hardly your fault if you were circumcised at birth. In this day and age of soap and clean running water, a foreskin is far easier to keep clean than perhaps it once was, and so the routine circumcision of infants if almost completely unnecessary.

However, your friend is being somewhat cruel. You live right next door to the USA where circ rates are around 65% these days (down a considerable amount from just a couple of decades ago) and I'm sure Americans don't generally have a problem with having sex.

The foreskin, if it works properly, acts as a sheath that moves back and forth over the glans during sex and this does give heightened sensation, but being circumcised is almost no worse than a guy whose foreskin does not retract at all either (phimosis). He wouldn't experience the full sensation of foreskin gliding over the glans during sex either.

Having said that, unless you have had what is known as a 'tight circ', where even the frenulum is cut away, the skin of the shaft of a 'loose' cut cock does give some 'sheath-like' movement during sex.

Unfortunately, the skin on a circumcised penis does tend to thicken with age (keratanise) and you may lose 'sensitivity' over time - although 'sensation' of orgasm will still be good. This thickening is caused by it's obvious exposure to the 'drying' air and the consistent rubbing of the glans against clothing.

There are many men out there that are troubled by the fact that they lost their foreskins as babies and so 'restore' their foreskins via stretching means (there is plenty of info on the web around how to go about this) or wear devices during the day to stop the glans rubbing against their clothing, resulting in a smoother and more sensitive glans.

Regarding HIV/AIDS, it has been proven that circumcision REDUCES the instances of infection because foreskins are susceptible to small, unnoticeable tears in the skin, allowing infection to enter the blood stream. However, circumcision is no excuse not to wear condoms because circumcision does not PREVENT infection.

Lastly, most sexual partners, whether male or female, would have no preference on your circumcision status because they are attracted to the person as a whole - and not just the condition of the penis. Yes, you do get some people who may have a foreskin 'fetish' that would avoid you because of your status, but then again, there are people that avoid intact men because they have an abhorrence of foreskin.

So don't get yourself into a state about what your ill-informed friend has said. Your personality is far more important to most people than the intact/circumcised status of your cock. If anything, it indicates that he has his priorities wrong and is likely rather shallow ... :thumb:
  • Options
    J@ke wrote: »
    Regarding HIV/AIDS, it has been proven that circumcision REDUCES the instances of infection because foreskins are susceptible to small, unnoticeable tears in the skin, allowing infection to enter the blood stream. However, circumcision is no excuse not to wear condoms because circumcision does not PREVENT infection.

So don't get yourself into a state about what your ill-informed friend has said. Your personality is far more important to most people than the intact/circumcised status of your cock. If anything, it indicates that he has his priorities wrong and is likely rather shallow ... :thumb:

:yes: Exactly, apologies if I was vague about the HIV stuff I didn't mean to imply it's a preventer.
  • Options
    Let no one put you down, getting circumcised is one of the best decisions you or your parents must have made for you. Hard facts.... hate it if you will but
    1. You are less susceptible to sexually transmitted diseases, UTIs and more common bacterial infections. These are easily brought about by the foreskin (removed when circumcised) moving about bacteria and viruses.
    2.You may not reach the level of sexual satsifaction the uncircumcised do as the foreskin is normally very sensitive and tends to heighten feeling during intercourse, that said research proves that most of the uncircumcised tend to more promiscous in comparison. The pleasure you feel is enough not to get you jumping on each and every willing party but leaves a place for more emotional connection that just physical.
    3. We love guys who are circumcised as then the process is less messy, easy for oral sex and smooth enough for normal intercourse. A lady educated on both definately feels more comfortable with one who is; for health reasons. Less germs that way unless you both intend to be with no one else in life. Its bad enough that when you sleep with someone you are sleeping with everyone they have been with not to add that the foreskin brings along every bacteria, virus or infection the person came in contact with.Old Mad
  • Options
    In regards to having a worse sex life:

Depends. Most gay men do prefer cut, because it's "cleaner" than uncut. Even though it's not, just because they're less susceptible to smegma build up - which most guys prefer because of BJ's, but it doesn't bother me (but I have a preference for uncut) as long as they're clean down there!

Also read here in relation to reduced sexual feelings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_effects_of_circumcision - Not everybody gets it.
  • Options
    i think most women in the UK or indeed most of Europe are not going to care particularly either way, as both are quite normal. Dont worry
  • Options
    Posts like this make me mad. Some idiot woman swans in and makes a completely uninformed post and no doubt, will never return to debate this.
    nyangi wrote: »
    Let no one put you down, getting circumcised is one of the best decisions you or your parents must have made for you. Hard facts.... hate it if you will but

Considering that routine infant circumcision is not recommended by ANY major medical association in the world, What exactly ARE you credentials?

The decision for removing the foreskin, apart for severe medical reasons, should be made by the man when he reaches an age where he can make his own informed choice. It is an infringement of human rights to support RIC (routine infant circumcision).
    1. You are less susceptible to sexually transmitted diseases, UTIs and more common bacterial infections. These are easily brought about by the foreskin (removed when circumcised) moving about bacteria and viruses.

You must live in a very dirty 3rd world country without soap and running water.

In any respectable nation with these basics, cleaning the penis once a day will almost completely avoid any bacterial infections that might be passed onto their partner.

If 'cleanliness' was such a problem, why (for example) is almost every European male intact? Europe has some of the most brilliant medical facilities in the world - but they don't advocate circumcision?

As someone from a 3rd world country, have you considered having your filthy labia removed? I mean, it CAN get just as dirty and smelly in a woman's vagina if she doesn't wash. Why not cut out labia on new born baby girls?
    2.You may not reach the level of sexual satsifaction the uncircumcised do as the foreskin is normally very sensitive and tends to heighten feeling during intercourse,

So what is the advantage to HIM, if he loses sensitivity and sexual satisfaction? Please explain.
    that said research proves that most of the uncircumcised tend to more promiscous in comparison.

What???? Please provide links to this 'research'. I presume it's from reputable medical association?
    The pleasure you feel is enough not to get you jumping on each and every willing party but leaves a place for more emotional connection that just physical.

Oh please!
    3. We love guys who are circumcised as then the process is less messy,

We? You are speaking for the minority of women in the world.

How do YOU know the difference anyway?

What process is less messy?
    easy for oral sex
    and
    and smooth enough for normal intercourse.

The head of an intact penis is FAR smoother than a circumcised penis. Fact.

The skin on the head of a circumcised penis can get very hard and keratanised over time. Hardly 'smooth'. More like a pineapple.

Furthermore, circumcised men are far more likely to have to rely on artificial lube to avoid discomfort to the woman. The foreskin acts as a sheath that moves back and forth over the glans during sex, reducing internal friction.
    A lady educated on both definately feels more comfortable with one who is; for health reasons.

You're clearly not that 'educated' or you would know that circumcision is almost completely unnecessary these days. I suspect your 'argument' is coming from a religious slant.
    Less germs that way unless you both intend to be with no one else in life. Its bad enough that when you sleep with someone you are sleeping with everyone they have been with not to add that the foreskin brings along every bacteria, virus or infection the person came in contact with.

Why aren't you wearing protection anyway, unless you are in a safe committed relationship?
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Most gay men do prefer cut, because it's "cleaner" than uncut.

I'm not sure if they do, certainly in non-US countries.
  • Options
    I went from being happy and okay with it to being freaked out again. Not sure this thread really helped me at all.

By reading this I have learned that my head will go rock hard, women and men won't like it, and I am unique to have it but not unique in a good way...
  • Options
    I went from being happy and okay with it to being freaked out again. Not sure this thread really helped me at all.

By reading this I have learned that my head will go rock hard, women and men won't like it, and I am unique to have it but not unique in a good way...

Have a look at this .... http://tlctugger.com/ and specifically this ... http://tlctugger.com/prodRC.htm

If you protect the head of your penis, it will become almost completely smooth and you will ensure sensitivity.
  • Options

Good lord man, don't worry so about it. Don't let a few people's political agendas confuse you into thinking that you won't be able to enjoy sex. I can assure you that you will be able to enjoy sex just as much as anyone else, assuming you practice enough with your partner ;)

In terms of overall enjoyment, being circumcised or not is really not going to make a difference.
  • Options

I've had more cock than you've had microwave meals.

You want the plain, honest truth. NO ONE WILL FUCKING CARE if you're cut or uncut. In all honesty it has never, ever entered my head about whether a guy is cut or uncut. It just doesn't bother me like the VAST majority of people who like sex with men.

I've known 3 guys who've had the operation and apart from it being a bit sore for a week or two the only difference was that they got a better erection and lasted longer which made them and their partners happy :)
  • Options
    You are certainly not unique.

if you have a reduction in sensitivity that means it'll take longer to get where you're going, not that you won't get there. This might be considered a good thing.

While you might have a little drying, it's not going to be like a rock or pineapple. and you're not going to get phimosis - or it's evil, evil twin paraphimosis.

While I prefer uncut, it's like I prefer Hendricks Gin to Plymouth Gin - I'm never going to say no to one when I would have said yes to the other.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    A friend of mine, who's a sexual health doctor, says that there is a risk of infection in the foreskin, because it's difficult to clean. There have even been studies done to see if circumcision reduces HIV infection between men (evidence suggests it might, the WHO approve circumcision in adults as a means to control HIV). It does not appear to affect other STIs.
    We love guys who are circumcised as then the process is less messy, easy for oral sex and smooth enough for normal intercourse.

It can get a little overwhelming when many opinions are expressed at once, but just looking at a couple of them above shows that there are good points to being circumcised and it truly depends on the individual and their preferences. Circumcision is quite common nowadays so try not to worry too much about it. Have a look at our article on circumcision as well as this Askthesite question similar to yours.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    WaTtsMithS wrote: »
    Well Guys,
    A friend of mine, who's a sexual health doctor, says that there is a risk of infection in the foreskin, because it's difficult to clean. There have even been studies done to see if circumcision reduces HIV infection between men but anyway thank everyone for sharing all those beautiful and informative anime...

I'm inclined to think that your 'doctor friend' is imaginary. Considering that almost every major medical council in the world, including the USA, reject the need for routine infant circumcision, 'he' is otherwise very ill informed.

In the majority of cases, a foreskin is easier to clean that brushing your teeth. In the small minority that do have problems, there are enough non-surgical alternatives to circumcision to resolve the issue. Circumcision always should be the last resort.

For the record, I am circumcised myself. I can't do anything to change this but I can refute the complete nonsense that comes out of the pro-circumcision lobby, like yours.

The best thing you can do is do some PROPER research, and then make sure you do not have your own sons circumcised. Play a part in stopping this ridiculous and cruel practice. Circumcision rates are thankfully falling in the US now and hopefully, one day, it will consigned to history and everyone will consider it a bizarre and cruel practice.
  • Options
    It is possible to accept there are minor health benefits to circumcision, and still be against routine infant circumcision.

In the same way that no breast tissue would remove the risk of breast cancer, but we dont go round giving healthy women mastectomies