Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Chlamydia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been told to take a sample into the doctors to get checked out for this. I was just wondering does anyone know what happens? Like they send it off to someone, then they check it, send it back a week later. But does it come back in an envelope addressed to me? does it get sent to the doctors or my house? Am I the first person to see it?

Comments

• Options
    Are you talking about the swabs that going in a plastic tube and then an envelope? The ones i've done are like that, you fill out the form with how you want to be contacted. It confidential and you can choose either by phone, email or text, so no one else has to see the results (parents or docs), i do it by text. They send the sample off then a couple of weeks later they'll contact you with your results. You dont get the test back or anything after
  • Options
    No, I have to do a wee sample. Would that be confidential too? 'Cause I don't know yet if I want the GP to see it.
  • Options
    You can get postal tests which would be completely confidential and you can even get the results by text.
  • Options
    So how do I do that?
  • Options
    Im sure it will be confidential. Did your GP ask you to do it or was a GUM clinic? I only ask because a GP might be sent the results whereas a clinic will just send it all to you
  • Options
    The GP told me to do it. So it may not be confidential? Should I do it then? 'Cause I don't want to have to let anyone else see it.
  • Options
    Hmm it may not be. If you're really worried, get to a GUM clinic. Its completely confidential, your doctor wont find out if you dont want him/her to, and you can get the results how you want them

Hope this helps: http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationships/safersex/sexualhealth/faqvisitingagumclinic
  • Options
    Just wondering - why don't you want your GP to know?
  • Options
    Just embarrasses me, like the way it happened and stuff. I don't know how I'll react if I do have it. I know it's treatable but.. I don't know.
  • Options
    How old are you? What's your status- school, uni, work, something else? Some places provide free testing outside of Dr or GUM services depending on your age, status and where you live.
  • Options
    I'm 17, may be going back to college in september, live in New Mills.
    And thanks for that link Lexi99, I didn't see that comment before because I wasn't on a computer when I logged on.
  • Options
    If that's in Derbyshire? you can email to request a home testing kit. Info here http://www.derbyshirecountypct.nhs.uk/sexualt-health-.asp
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll think about that. Not sure though because I don't want the parents to know anything about it, and if they see the post before I do, they'll be curious.
  • Options
    Remember that no symptoms is common. Latest advice is to get tested every year if you're sexually active and under 25. A smidge of embarrassment at your Dr is a lot less trouble than a lifetime of womb pain from an untreated infection. Not to worry you, just saying- take charge of your life; if you're grown up enough to have sex, be grown up enough to be sure you're sexually healthy.
  • Options
    Got a sexually active friend- could you go to a clinic together? Or with sexual partner maybe?
  • Options
    I'm not grown up enough to have sex.
    This post was about wanting to know what happens.
    And no to both of them.
  • Options
    Aw, are you ok? Has something happened?
  • Options
    Just had a flick through your previous posts. First of all- I'm sorry this has happened to you.

Who was it who suggested you get tested? Perhaps they are the best person to support you through this, and you do need support.

Are you safe at the moment?

hugs
  • Options
    Was the GP, but she knows hardly anything about it. She just said to me 'are you, or have you been sexually active' and she asked if I was stressed, then she started asking me loads of questions so I said 'I'm not going to get into details but yeah, there has been abuse.' Don't know her though, only seen her like twice in my life so I don't want to talk to her.
  • Options
    i hope they do it in your area. Check this link:

http://freetest.me.uk/
  • Options
    I don't think they do it in my area, but thanks.
  • Options
    Also some large Tescos do free testing and if you do it on a saturday you get a free cinema ticket too.
  • Options
    Was the GP, but she knows hardly anything about it. She just said to me 'are you, or have you been sexually active' and she asked if I was stressed, then she started asking me loads of questions so I said 'I'm not going to get into details but yeah, there has been abuse.' Don't know her though, only seen her like twice in my life so I don't want to talk to her.

Please tell me if im being too forward with this but i would suggest seeing someone about whats happened, even if its just someone you can talk to about things.

Also, from the way you started the thread and said you were embarassed about what happened, i thought it was just because you were embarassed to be caught out with an STI but now its come to light its because of what it is, there really is no reason to be embarassed/guilty or whatever. What happened was not your fault and nobody is going to judge you because of it, especially not your doctor
  • Options
    I have spoken about it with someone from CAMHS..
    Everyone says it's not my fault. I know people wont judge but I don't want to go to the doctor again. I wouldn't have gone in the first place about the pains if I even thought she would of suspected this.
  • Options
    It's confidential. Completely. In fact the NHS will be even more careful with something like this, really cautious.
  • Options
    It's confidential. Completely. In fact the NHS will be even more careful with something like this, really cautious.

So I'll be the first to see it, and I won't have to show anyone else if I don't want to?
  • Options
    No-one else is allowed to see it - except those involved in doing/ordering your test, which is clinically appropriate. It's between you and them.
  • Options
    Ah okay, thanks. Not doing it then.
  • Options
    The only people who will see, will be the people carrying out the actual test. these people will carry out hundreds of tests per week. They dont know you and will not know you.

I'm also pretty sure you can get results by text to a mobile phone.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks.