Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Facebook chain status updates.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I genuinely wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I would put this in here.

Does anyone else get annoyed by the number of chain updates on peoples facebook status? Whilst I'm all for supporting the idea behind charities and such like, and offering moral support to people or a cause, some of these status updates have really started getting to me.

Whenever I see it is "something week" or national something day I always tend to have a look and find out that it isnt. Or about a group of american marines needing support in troubled times, the same status update which has been floating around the internet since early last year (the unit in question no longer being in Afghanistan).

The worst ones that get on my wick are those that start with "I have been asked by a friend" when they blatently have just copied and pasted the status. Or even more so those updates that try to pull the heart strings by saying "99% of people wont have the guts to copy and paste this".

I'm not quite sure where I am going with this, but if someone else has a better way of suggesting or explaining why it is acceptable that I'm getting annoyed by this, then please tell.

How long till chain status update become as socially unacceptable as chain mail.

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I hate them. But then, like with the heart string pullers, it then makes me feel harsh. Oh well, I am who I am!
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »
    I hate them. But then, like with the heart string pullers, it then makes me feel harsh. Oh well, I am who I am!

I do not feel harsh, if everyone felt as strongly about charity when they are donating time/money, as when they find it as easy as clicking "share" then maybe charity as a whole will be better off. Raising awareness is only half the battle for a charity that needs money. In some cases people being aware of an issue will do the charity little help.
  • Options
    I tend to find the same people who post those things still send chain emails...
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I tend to find the same people who post those things still send chain emails...

The same kind of people who are naive enough to think that saying "I'm only doing it just in case" will mean others dont suspect them of either being horridly gullible, or ignorant of the many other more prevalent dangers in life than dying because you didnt forward a email to 7 people and turned around 5 times?
  • Options
    I ignore them

Anyone on Twitter will have seen the 15-y-o dying of cancer with a "bucket list". I'm sure it's all done with best of intentions but after seeing it about 30 times in a hour.... grrr
  • Options
    I ignore them

Anyone on Twitter will have seen the 15-y-o dying of cancer with a "bucket list". I'm sure it's all done with best of intentions but after seeing it about 30 times in a hour.... grrr

OH GOD one of the people I follow has been tweeting that ALL GOD DAMN DAY.
  • Options
    I also hate/ignore these chain status updates. I always get the feeling that people post them more to make themselves look good than actually caring....look at me aren't I so good I reposted this? um no, you're just clogging up my news feed
  • Options
    they're really annoying. i never repost them and i sort of look down on people who do :| ha...
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I also hate/ignore these chain status updates. I always get the feeling that people post them more to make themselves look good than actually caring....look at me aren't I so good I reposted this? um no, you're just clogging up my news feed

I agree.

A relative of mine always posts about how hard up troops are. My dad's response was that they have it much easier than when he was in the Navy. (late 70s and 80s)

Is there a way to block these types of posts? A friend said he managed to do that (although it may have just been photos) and hasn't told me how.

I don't feel harsh about not posting these things. Half the time, I don't really care about the cause anyway.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I agree.

A relative of mine always posts about how hard up troops are. My dad's response was that they have it much easier than when he was in the Navy. (late 70s and 80s)

Is there a way to block these types of posts? A friend said he managed to do that (although it may have just been photos) and hasn't told me how.

I don't feel harsh about not posting these things. Half the time, I don't really care about the cause anyway.

Well us forces folk will always complain about how hard it was "BACK IN MY DAY" ;)