Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Not Sure???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi.

A friend of mine told me that, when you work out say for about 2 hours. That for about 2 hrs after that everything you eat, will be burned off?!

Is this true? She says that her dancing teacher told her that! I was just wondering if any body knew?

Thx ~x~
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Maybe not as long as two hours...

Basically if you do a cardio work out on an empty stomach quite intensly for say 20 - 30 mins then in the hour afterwards you will burn off roughly the same amount of calories as you did during your work out so for me in a 20 minute cardio on a Stairmaster I will burn say 350 calories, in the hour after I will burn a further 350. THEN i will eat something...

So if you work out on a partially full stomach during the first 30 mins of your workout you will be burning whats in your system, then your metabolism goes into kind of shock and accelerates and starts digging into your reserves (Fat Burning). It wont calm down till an hour or so later in which time its still burning fat. If you eat soon after you work out then it will start using that... Wait an hour then eat is my advise, depends if you are trying to burn fat or not!

(using this method 3 times per week 20 minutes a session I lost over 2 stone in 3 months - combined with eating small meals often and 3 weight sessions per week... then again I did have it to lose!!)

So yes I would partially agree with your Friends Dancing Tutor... very usefull for people to know who are trying to lose fat...
  • Options
    technically, when you exercise, you burn calories and by eating anything later, you only replace what you burn and if you eat a similar amount of cals to what you burnt off, you are still technically burning. sounds confusing but generally, after exercise, yes you are still burning those cals!!!:D which is really good news!!
    does any one happen to know how many cals you burn by doing situps? i have looked at a few sites but nothing thats really been useful! i practically visited every calorie burning site going!!!
  • Options
    Situps... hmmm again a difficult one.

Probably not that many, then again if you are getting short of breath, your heart rate is up and you are sweating then you are probably burning as many calories as you are when getting in the same state as that when doing other exercise... If you are training abs as a normal muscle group (like you would train your chest, arms etc...) and using increasing weights, proper pre defined sets etc... then I would say about the same amount of calories as you would be burning when weight training.

Then again, I wouldnt recommend Situps as an aerobic exercise due to the damage you can do from doing them too quick, bad form. Back troubles could ensue! Plus if you can do situps for 20 - 30 mins at a rapid enough pace to qualify as aerobic exercise then wow! I'm impressed!

Remember, you abs are stabalising muscles and respond better to slower exercises - see some of the exercises that Alessandro and Alastair has recommended in some of the other Ab related threads... they are pretty damn good!!
  • Options
    Re: Not Sure???
    Originally posted by Miss K Sassy
    Hi.

A friend of mine told me that, when you work out say for about 2 hours. That for about 2 hrs after that everything you eat, will be burned off?!

Is this true? She says that her dancing teacher told her that! I was just wondering if any body knew?

Thx ~x~

Not neccesarily true. You're body will break down more energy to rebuild more glucose stores and rebuild muscle tissue. If you eat more carbohydrates during this time period more will be incorportaed into stores, but it doesn't mean ytou can eat anything and it will magically disappear, sorry.

Alistair